Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Sun at 200mm
Lens: DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR Camera: K200D Photo Location: San Francisco, CA USA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/4000s Aperture: F32 
Posted By: jays0n, 04-26-2011, 10:41 AM

I got this (and a few others but this was the best) shot of the Sun by using my trusty K200D with the ol 50-200mm lens. I used a 720 IR filter (and not sure it matters but I also had on a standard UV filter). I shot it handheld, just standing in the backyard at near noon. The filters are just your standard lens protector UV thing ($6 on the pentax forum) and a $10 eBay IR filter, and the camera and lens are also nothing expensive as you all know. So I am calling this super cheap astronomy. I shot these with a B&W custom setting and JPEG only and tried a few different settings. ISO200 + f/32 + 1/4000 sec seems to be the best setting for this.

This one is a crop (original is also post here), and then I added color

Though the others did not come out very well, I put them on flickr as it was interesting that even with this simple setup, it was possible to see the spots move (especially one up near the top of the shot).

thanks for looking
Views: 1,550
04-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
jac
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot.
04-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster