Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
"A Rose by any other name".
Posted By: Bramela, 10-31-2007, 07:11 PM

A Rose growing in my garden for the Rose lovers out there.
Called a "Crimson Glory" Climbing Rose. I find that after I upload picture it is coming up rather blurred and OOF. The photo is sharp as a tack in my original computer version.
Any suggestions what is happening, thanks?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by Bramela; 10-31-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Views: 1,693
10-31-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Find that I am losing the sharp focus when I resize down to the 800 p as required.
Doing with Photoshop. What am I doing to cause this, if anybody can throw up a suggestion or two, thanks.
10-31-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Unsharp Mask Last

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
What am I doing to cause this, if anybody can throw up a suggestion or two, thanks.
When you print, or display a photo, different media has different d.p.i. (dots per inch). To figure out what it is for your monitor, figure it out with a ruler and your display resolution (probably 92 dpi). Most web browsers these days are optimized for 92. In the 'old days' it was 72. Check your printer's specs for them. Always sharpen a picture LAST, specifically for the dpi of your target display, or printer, after you have resized, ie., don't sharpen and then resize. Resize, then sharpen.
I'm sorry I can't help you how to do this is Photoshop, as I use Linux and a command line program I wrote that specifically sharpens for whatever my target is. Photoshop has three parameters for sharpening, I use two sets of four. Hope this helps.
10-31-2007, 10:42 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
I'm sorry I can't help you how to do this is Photoshop, as I use Linux and a command line program I wrote that specifically sharpens for whatever my target is. Photoshop has three parameters for sharpening, I use two sets of four. Hope this helps.
Would, please, tell what distro and application (and commands) you using. I'm with PCLinuxOs and would like to try your way. Thank you.

andy

10-31-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually all I did from the original, as downloaded, was go to Photoshop and went to Rersize Iamge and reduced to 800pxl on the longest side. Nothing more or less.
I then went to 'Manage Attachements' in this Forum, and as you can see when the Upload came out on posting it look sso much out of focus, its shocking.

Dont go to too much trouble guys, as this has not always been the case. e.g. see my entry in the current weekly Bridges comp and you see it looks fine.

I will do some further research into the particular shots as well and reckon I may find something that stands out.

Much appreciate your interest and many thanks, any info is gladly accepted.
10-31-2007, 10:59 PM   #6
and
Veteran Member

You should always apply some extra sharpening after you resize. But are you saying in this case when you look at the image in photoshop after resizing it looks fine but in the webbrowser its different?
10-31-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
and
Veteran Member

Additionally, this photo is Abobe RGB which is not good for web browsers. For this particular image it doesnt seem to bad, but its not a good habit to use Adobe RGB, you should covert to sRGB in photoshop for posting on the web. If you use the "Save for Web" feature in photoshop then that will convert the image to sRGB for you. This does not concern sharpness though, it concerns colors

11-01-2007, 01:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Actually all I did from the original, as downloaded, was go to Photoshop and went to Resize Image and reduced to 800pxl on the longest side. Nothing more or less.
When you resize smaller in PhotoShop, you might try ensuring that you also have "Resample Image" selected, and choose "Bicubic sharper, best for reduction", from the drop-down. I find this does make a slight difference to the result.

As others have said, you should do any sharpening only once, and last. So not at all until after the resize.
11-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot Chris and Andreas, many good tips there , much appreciated. Will folow up on them all.
11-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #10
Inactive Account

An easy way is to use Microsoft Picture Manager. Select the edit button and then the resize button, select resize for web large and hit ok, all done. I resize all my web pics like this as it saves valuable time!

Tim H