Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

South Algonauin Bird Feeder Photos
Posted By: normhead, 04-30-2011, 08:31 AM

I'm posting this guy first because so many times I've head his song first thing in the morning when waking up in the park ( and because he is fresh off the camera.)

Views: 3,539
05-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I finally got a picture of a nuthatch, I've been trying for days. These guys are so quick.

05-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Really enjoyed the series Norm. The nuthatch is my favourite, they are indeed hard to capture. They are in constant motion.

I live a couple of hours north of you, and we see all the same birds. I used to enjoy shooting them in my yard, but we adopted a stray cat who's a deadly hunter, so I had to stop attracting critters. Then we bought a new house without the crabapple and mountain ash trees, so birds have no reason to visit. I miss all the fun I had watching and photographing so many species.
05-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Glad you enjoyed audiobomber.. people come to visit us, and just sit and look at the birds. They kind of take over the kitchen, our hunter cat died a year and a half ago, before, we were in the same position as you. Having a bird feeder would have meant more dead birds. A friend of our has a picture of a big hawk sitting right near his bird feeder. He said , "it gives the term 'bird feeder' a whole new meaning." He said the hawk actually pick off quite a few of them before he moved on.
05-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
"it gives the term 'bird feeder' a whole new meaning." He said the hawk actually pick off quite a few of them before he moved on.
Bird feeder, LOL! Yeah, hawks have to eat too.

I watched a hawk hunt a sparrow one day. There were no leaves left on the neighbour's hedge. The hawk flew into the hedge for the kill, but the little sparrow hopped branch by branch through the shrubs until he reached the opposite side. The hawk flew up and around and landed where the sparrow had been, but the sparrow was on his way back. Over and over they did this, for a good ten minutes until the hawk gave up and left. Unfortunately I had no camera with me. This is one the few times I would have considered making a video.