Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Smoky Melbourne...
Posted By: joele, 12-13-2006, 03:24 AM

Looks washed out, but thats Melbourne at the moment... The fire to the north east now has a front over a 150km wide, much of the state is covered in the smoke you see in this photo (not fog or clouds, just smoke)...

This is a shot I took on the weekend from StKilda pier, looking back at Melbourne (not that you can see it).. Today I think was worse, but I was at work...

Last edited by joele; 12-13-2006 at 03:46 AM.
Views: 1,567
12-13-2006, 03:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The fire front is now 240 km and wind is blowing all directions.

Now I could hardly see the poles at the front of my townhouse which are about 10 metres away.

p.s. where are your parrot shots?
12-13-2006, 03:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Just gets worse doesn't it???

You want bird shots? OK will put up later tonight... The parrots from NSW though, the ones here were terrible due to the smoke, everything looked washed out...
12-13-2006, 03:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

As far as I could recall, it was king parrot. Isn't it?

Looking forward to that one.

12-13-2006, 03:56 AM   #5
Inactive Account

It is with great hopes that the wildfires in your area will soon be put out. But with a fire front of 250KM it may be some time before that happens. the forest fires in California have gotten much worse and now have claimed lives. they say the fires were set.(It takes a very sick person to do something like this.)
I hope soon this will pass for you and you will be able to get back to taking some great pictures.

Stay safe both of you, and don't take any unnecessary chances.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
12-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

To you fellows in Melborne, I understand some of what you are going through. I was in Kuala Lumpur one time and the fires from deliberate burning in Indonesia were sending so much smoke it was worse than chain smoking cigarettes. The top of the towers were not visible. You could look directly at the sun and not be blinded. Reminded me of the words to an older song "And the sun was just a bright spot in the nighttime".

Here is a question that may effect all of us, as the sensor in digital cameras are statically charged, does the smoke come to the sensor like dust, or can you tell?