Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Arizona, Part 8 - A Slot Canyon
Posted By: UpNorth, 05-02-2011, 09:34 AM

This is the final installment in my "Arizona" series. Our last big thing to do was to visit a slot canyon. While Upper & Lower Antelope looked beautiful in many shots I've seen, I was looking for a little something different to give the kids (actually, all of us!) something to remember. Thanks to a fellow Forum member (Thanks Grant), we checked out and decided to give a try to this place.....

http://slotcanyonhummeradventures.com

It turned out to be a lot of fun. As noted by their name, not only do you get a slot canyon visit - but also a Hummer adventure in the same trip. You park at their shop in town, and then everyone piles into one of their Hummers and they take you a few miles outside of town - where you turn off onto a dirt "road" for the last few miles of the trip to the slot canyon. Needless to say, you're in a Hummer for a reason, and they put all of its capabilities to use on the way out and back.
Upon arriving at this particular slot canyon ("Secret Canyon") your Hummer-load of people (if I remember right they'll take anywhere from 2 - 6 people for a trip) will be the only ones there exploring this canyon. It was nice for the kids and my wife because they could take their time walking through and looking w/o any crowds or tour guides pushing them along, and for "the photographer" it was nice not to have to stand around and hope that a crowd would clear in order to get a decent shot! If you're out this way - and looking for something like this - I'd highly recommend these guys. They're friendly, knowledgable, the Hummers are clean and nice, and they even bring along lots of bottled water!

Enough chit-chat - on to the photos.....

#1 - Showing some of the kids headed into the canyon for perspective

#7 - I suppose I could have pp'd the bird poop off the right-hand side - but I think it lends an air of "authenticity".....

#9 - And finally, a shot of the kids (and our guide) before we hop back in to the Hummer for the trip back to town

All 6 of us had a blast, and again, I would highly recommend it if this is the type of thing you're looking for.

That concludes our week+ family vacation last June in the beautiful state of Arizona. A perfect spot for a family vacation - assuming the kids are old enough to keep up with all the hiking!

Thanks to all for looking and commenting on all my previous posts of the trip.....

Tim

Last edited by UpNorth; 05-02-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Views: 3,338
05-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I almost missed this series, and I'm sure glad I didn't. Very cool pics that combine some great photography and what appears to be a bunch of fun.

Jer

05-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I almost missed this series, and I'm sure glad I didn't. Very cool pics that combine some great photography and what appears to be a bunch of fun.

Jer

Thanks Jer.
Yeah - We had a blast, which is pretty amazing considering I'm not a huge fan of heat. Give me -15F over 98F & humid ANY day!
(I guess that means I'm living in the right place then. Oh, wait - We get BOTH!)

Thanks for looking,

Tim
08-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Great shots! I really enjoy that area. I cant wait to get back. Keep up the good work.
08-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Outstanding Tim - one of the places I want to go for sure and it's resonable close. This is an excellent series.

08-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #20
Closed Account

First time I've seen this post and just have to comment. Beautiful images and wonderful colors. I particularly like #4 & 5! I feel like I can touch the wall and feel the texture and grain. Superb job!
08-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Great shots! I really enjoy that area. I cant wait to get back. Keep up the good work.
Thanks. It IS a beautiful area - Much more so than I expected from "the desert".....

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Outstanding Tim - one of the places I want to go for sure and it's resonable close. This is an excellent series.

Thanks Dave. Definately worth the trip - Although I might choose a time of year other than June next time, as it gets a little warm out there!

QuoteOriginally posted by wcchamp18 Quote
First time I've seen this post and just have to comment. Beautiful images and wonderful colors. I particularly like #4 & 5! I feel like I can touch the wall and feel the texture and grain. Superb job!
Glad you liked them. Thanks for taking the time to look & comment.....

Tim