Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
B&W HDR? Lets see 'em.
Posted By: d.bradley, 11-01-2007, 06:49 PM

Anyone use HDR for B&W shots? Post em here!

This isn't even a true HDR...I was just bored and decided to play with some masks and levels of the original jpeg. But I'd like to see people's B&W HDR shots!

Views: 3,062
11-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OK - here are a few of mine.......

11-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
kay

Excellent photos!
11-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have any to add, but both of you have great shots. They look much more natural than color HDR counterparts.

11-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
and
Veteran Member

wow fantastic shots, I agree it seems HDR looks better in BW, at least I find it hard to make it look natural in color. amazing deep sharpness in hogriders first, were you going hyperfocal focusing?
11-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've only 2 HDR images, here's one of them:

I was relatively happy with it until I saw the images in the previous posts!

dave
11-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey HogRider, amazing shots! I wanted to bring up the B&W HDR issue for a few reasons...to see how realistic the shots that others have taken are (I haven't shot any, so I am curious) and to see how the extended dynamic range is handeled by various users.

I brought the levels of my sky down to emphasize the clouds, but kept very high contrast and lost detail in the shadows on purpose. HogRider, do you mind if I play with one or two of your images and post them to test out some ideas I'm toying with?

Thanks!
Damian

11-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

No problem. Go ahead and play with those images.

Will

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Hey HogRider, amazing shots! I wanted to bring up the B&W HDR issue for a few reasons...to see how realistic the shots that others have taken are (I haven't shot any, so I am curious) and to see how the extended dynamic range is handeled by various users.

I brought the levels of my sky down to emphasize the clouds, but kept very high contrast and lost detail in the shadows on purpose. HogRider, do you mind if I play with one or two of your images and post them to test out some ideas I'm toying with?

Thanks!
Damian
11-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HogRider Quote
No problem. Go ahead and play with those images.

Will
Thanks Will!

Here's what I've been thinking. An HDR flattens out the histogram by default, effectively reducing contrast by pushing what would normally be the darkest and lightest pixels toward the middle.

But by tweaking the levels or curves of an HDR to bump up the contrast, or even by pushing the mid point of the histogram to the left of centre, one could reap the benefits of the high dynamic range of an HDR, without the, IMHO tell-tale weakness of many of the HDR images I've seen kicking around. B&W is the perfect place to do this, since realism is easier to maintain.

Tim your images have very good contrast...but I wanted to see what they'd look like pushed even further, so they don't even come across as an HDR:

Okay, a little dark on the last one. But I'll throw it out there: High contrast B&W HDR...yay or nea versus regular contrast HDR? (Open discussion, not restricted to these images)
11-03-2007, 12:28 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Those are really nice and I agree that B&W suits HDR imaging. I'll have to give it a go when I get a chance.

Tim H