Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dont bring a pentax for sport shoots...
Camera: K5 Photo Location: Indoor, dark...areas.... ISO: 3200 
Posted By: D4rknezz, 05-04-2011, 12:24 PM

I honestly wasnt quite impressed...until I search on google images for other images of indoor volleyball.

I think i was pushing ISO 3200 on this shot....manual focusing too, as AF is just impossible.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Views: 3,502
05-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You don't mention what lens you were shooting with. Before someone goes the whole "Pentax is no good for indoor action photography" route, it would be good to note how fast the lens was and see if those who have faster lenses had better luck. Of course, if you were shooting with a fast lens, then that changes things ...
05-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That depends if you have the proper lens and technique.
05-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot high school basketball with the K-5 & Sigma 50-150mm f2.8. Works well for me. Of course, the lighting in some venues is impossible with any camera.

05-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah sorry guys, I was being tongue-in-cheek. I actually really like this result.
Its a fast lens, 16-50 2.8 at 1/600ish maybe in most shots at ISO 3200.
I think the K5 did a very great job pulling back the shadows.
05-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Why peoples are putting negative title to talk about good thing about the K-5. Seem viral now on Pentax forum. Please think that when somebody do a search in Google what they catched.
If you are happy about the camera , put a positive message. Pentax forum is not a credible source anymore
05-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

+1 and more Bobmaxja.

05-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ahahahah.

I dont see a problem with it. Unless the photo I took is no good, then yes, there is a problem.

If the photo I took is any good, then our members would/should just laugh at my cheekiness at the other camera users who mocks pentax sport shooting capability.

If the photo I took is any good, then any search that comes up with this topic for other camera users would make them go AHA. And when they click on it, they'd see a photo they totally did not expect that they havent ever taken themselves.

If the photo I took isnt any good, then I am sorry. I welcome any moderator to delete the thread so not to go viral on a bad photo taken with Pentax.

C&C is now encouraged.
Also, helpful link to google images of current indoor volleyball photos for marking reference indoor volleyball - Google Search

Cheers.
*d4rknezz.
05-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think this is a great shot and the "ironic" nature of your title is pretty obvious, at least for those of us who speak colloquial English. It seems to me that the value of the Post Your Photos section is as forum to have fun with both pictures and words - as you've demonstrated here.

Jer
05-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I haven't been able to play volleyball for 13 years now but I played until I was almost 50, that shot brings back some great memories, thanks for posting.
05-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I think this is a great shot and the "ironic" nature of your title is pretty obvious, at least for those of us who speak colloquial English. It seems to me that the value of the Post Your Photos section is as forum to have fun with both pictures and words - as you've demonstrated here.

Jer

I'm with Jer. When I first saw this post yesterday I assumed you were being sarcastic - as it's a fine shot considering the lighting and speed of the action. I posted some baseball shots about a year ago and said pretty much the same thing - too bad Pentax can't shoot sports, because I like these (or something like that). I guess because I was shooting with a K20D it didn't ruffle any feathers!

I'd love to keep typing, but I've got to go out and shoot some grass growing - as that's all the "action" my K20D can handle.

(/sarcasm - for those of you scoring at home)

Tim
05-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Why peoples are putting negative title to talk about good thing about the K-5. Seem viral now on Pentax forum. Please think that when somebody do a search in Google what they catched.
If you are happy about the camera , put a positive message. Pentax forum is not a credible source anymore
I agree. Not to deliberately single out this post, but this is where I found this discussion. Those of you defending a negativist approach please think a moment.
  • The sarcasm is impossible to note from simply scanning the thread title.
  • The sarcasm is difficult to catch for non-native-speakers, thousands of whom browse the forums.
  • The sarcasm is old and not funny in any case. It's too easy. It's so much harder to be positive, for some reason.

In any case, I am glad the shoot worked out!
05-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jer, Norm! UpNorth, if the grass is growing outdoors, you are cheating

I appreciate the comments and the argument against putting a sarcastic/negative/cheeky posting.

However, in my personal opinion, what makes a Pentax user different from any other camera user (except for when one buys a Pentax because its the only affordable camera), is that Pentax users are not afraid to have their own identity.

I was in photoshop world in Orlando last month. Some 3000 shooters....
I am not afraid of what everyone is saying about what I am using. Not only I carry a Pentax, if there is a Red, Blue, White K5, I want one. If its Pink, I may think about carrying it. Why? Because I dont care how much pride any other camera users have in regards to their cameras; I am proud to carry a K5. I am not apologetic, I dont make any excuses for my camera specifications, its crop factor, its fps, etc. If a bad photo comes from my work, *I* did it.

I would say that some Pentax users would be like me. Dare to be different. Some other Pentax users, are more positive They hold on to Pentax for memories, for great glass, for the community, etc. I am glad for their identities too. Nikon, Canon users are more...corporate to me.

I am who I am, thats why I carry a Pentax. And when I upgraded my K200D, I waited for Pentax to come out with a K5, even knowing that I wanted to get in weddings. (Doing my first wedding next month., wish me luck)

Simply said, I am not afraid that my post will make Pentax look weak. Our photos are what carries Pentax, and not our words.

That said, I do want to address rparmar's great argument :
- Simply scanning a thread title will not spot the sarcasm that is connected to the photo. I believe anyone wanting to credit/discredit Pentax will read the post. Anyone not bothering to read the content before making a conclusion, judging only by its cover, are not the type who will be a Pentax user anyway. Pentax users never judge by its cover. The beauty of the camera is inside.
- The sarcasm is difficult to catch for non-native speaker. I agree. Except, even non native speaker has to go through process number 1, look at the picture and read the content.
- The sarcasm is old and not funny.

Sorry. you got me there buddy.
05-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Anyone not bothering to read the content before making a conclusion, judging only by its cover, are not the type who will be a Pentax user anyway.
Interesting value judgement about who you do/don't want to allow into the club. I don't mean this in a harsh way. I simply believe that a subject line should be appropriate and not misleading. Not everyone has the time to read every single post looking for possible contradictions.

Anyway, lots of Canon shooters are pretty darned happy and positive in their choice as well. We are not made by our gear. Whatever works! (And Pentax works best for me.)
05-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Interesting value judgement about who you do/don't want to allow into the club. I don't mean this in a harsh way. I simply believe that a subject line should be appropriate and not misleading. Not everyone has the time to read every single post looking for possible contradictions.
No offense taken. .

To clarify part of my statement, i actually do not believe that my statement is a value judgement. I thought it was a pretty logical conclusion. I may be wrong.

- Pentax is not big in North America. The biggest consumer retailer chains do not carry Pentax
- Even smaller specialty camera stores do not carry Pentax
- When a store carries Pentax, its the consumer line, not the semi-pro line.
- When a store carries Pentax, a sales rep will probably try and sell a Canon or a Nikon
- Pentax has less accessory in the market too; which translates to even less visibility.
- Pentax has less packages, product promotions. Take Canon, with their promo of a rebel plus bag plus memory card plus err..filter, tripod and ummm 10 photo prints for free from blacks or something.

Therefore, I think, the only logical way someone manages to land a pentax despite the difficult in acquiring one is because they picked the camera closest to their budget, (Kr, Kx), or they did their research. And when someone lands a K-5....that means budget is less of an issue because they could have gotten a 7D. So they must have done more research, than a typical other camera shooter <---- And here is where I will admit that I am wrong. Apologies to any other camera user. There are more amazing shooters from the other camps than we have over here, simply because of numbers. Also, there are more crappy shooters from the other camps than we have over here, simply because of numbers too. My statements have all been based on the latter. It doesn't excuse poor word choices.

Also, what I feel is that if I have to explain and elaborate my train of thought every single time i make an argument, then I can't possibly be going at this the right way. Ergo, the positive title for the other picture I have on the other thread below.