Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Long Road to Recovery
Lens: DA 15 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Toney, AL ISO: 100 
Posted By: BlueBubbleBoy, 05-06-2011, 07:24 AM

I've been pretty inactive on the forum lately. I'm sure many of you have seen the news and heard about the terrible storms that spawned over 200 tornadoes (last count I saw anyway) and killed over 300 people in the south, including over 200 in Alabama alone. Fortunately my house and family were spared any damage other than being without power for a week, but neighborhoods just last than a couple of miles from me were not so fortunate.

There is an extensive cleanup effort going on here in northern Alabama and I've been privileged to help with a lot of it. I snapped a few photos on one day of helping, but to be honest I just took a few quick ones before getting back to work.

There's been a lot of tragedy with this storm, but to take away something positive it's to see how many people are working together to help others recover and start to heal. This aspect has been pretty amazing and inspiring.

Hope you all are well.

I had never been in this neighborhood before, but I compared to images from Google Street View and it is totally unrecognizable.

Can't forget this group. They were out all day long, from morning to night, cooking and serving food to everyone that lived there and the 1,000+ volunteers that showed up to help.

Views: 1,828
05-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Barry, looking at the damage and thinking about the loss of life makes one think of where to begin. I think it must start with people like you that are ready to give their labor of love to the victims of this horrific storm. Thank you for reminding me that you can not take anything for granted and you should live life to its fullest. A disaster like this affects people forever and thanks to people like you, the healing process can begin. Bpb
05-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Barry-my hat's off to you.Your altruistic contribution is very commendable.--charliezap
05-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Glad to hear you and yours were missed by all the devistation Barry. Good to see everyone's starting to get onto that long, slow road to recovery. Keep up the good work.....

Tim

05-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Glad you're okay... my best to you and your family and everyone in the area!
05-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sobering shots... really takes one's breath away.... keeping them in my prayers... dave m
05-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Barry, looking at the damage and thinking about the loss of life makes one think of where to begin. I think it must start with people like you that are ready to give their labor of love to the victims of this horrific storm. Thank you for reminding me that you can not take anything for granted and you should live life to its fullest. A disaster like this affects people forever and thanks to people like you, the healing process can begin. Bpb
Thank you for the very nice comments, Bob. There are some really amazing people who are organizing efforts for recovery. I'm just happy I can tag along where I can. Like you said though, this storm has been a sobering reminder to remember what's truly important in life.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Barry-my hat's off to you.Your altruistic contribution is very commendable.--charliezap
Thank you, Charlie. There are plenty of people doing much more than I, but again it's been great to see everyone working together.

QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
Glad to hear you and yours were missed by all the devistation Barry. Good to see everyone's starting to get onto that long, slow road to recovery. Keep up the good work.....

Tim
Thank you, Tim. Much appreciated!

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Glad you're okay... my best to you and your family and everyone in the area!
Thank you, Amy!

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
sobering shots... really takes one's breath away.... keeping them in my prayers... dave m
Thank you, Dave. I can see how so many prayers are being answered already.