Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
The Matriarch
Lens: Bigma 50-500 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Texas ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: Rupert, 05-06-2011, 07:24 AM

This is Mama Festus, the Matriarch of my Squirrel Clan and responsible for such offspring as Festus, King of Squirrels and unfortunately.....Otis, once known as "Baby Otis".
She doesn't come around too often, living in her nest and served like a Queen by her many relatives throughout the deep woods surrounding my place.

Mama Festus......Says she is not fat, just healthy!
[IMG] [/IMG]
Festus....Equipped to populate the earth with plenty of Squirrels!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Otis....one of his baby photo.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Baby Otie....The next generation.
[IMG] [/IMG]

More babies are coming soon...there are a half dozen or more little pregnant Girly Squirrels around here this Spring...ensuring that I won't run out of Squirrels!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Now you know! If this has been important to you, maybe you need to get out more?

Best Regards!
Views: 1,320
05-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LOL! I love your squirrel pictures, Rupert. Thanks for sharing.
05-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, it is kind of sad when a guy has nothing better to do than shoot Squirrels all day....but I don't complain. I do get a few pretty girls every so often!

Best Regards & Thanks for looking! Otis wanted people to vote on the best looking Squirrel, but I told him that would be unfair to the other Squirrels. He agreed.
05-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Wonder where Otis got all these squirrels?
They are so cute! Love them all!

05-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

#3 and 4 are excellent results Rupert.
Well done mate.
05-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Kengoh.....Thanks! ...and I am glad you like the Squirrels. People seem to love them or hate them, but I keep on shooting them, as I have no choice. Otis is very demanding.....

Ash....Thanks! I could probably get 4-5 hundred shots on any given day of Squirrels.....sometimes I get one I really like. They are not always perfect, but the K5 has made it so easy to get decent Squirrel shots. My biggest problem in the past was gaining a little speed by bumping the ISO...which often led to major degradation of the image. The K5 just sails through this problem like it wasn't there!

Best Regards!

A Newbie Squirrel...flashing gang signs.
[IMG] [/IMG]
05-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rupert--You are defineatly the squirrel master.--charliezap
05-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Rupert--You are defineatly the squirrel master.--charliezap

Thanks Charlie, but I am not the Master...that would be Otis.....I'm just his "Army Photographer". Until I got the K5, he was looking for a replacement for me, but now says I can stay a while longer and see if I can learn to satisfy his demands.
Best Regards!

05-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Great stuff Rupert.

The expanded dynamic range of the K5 seems to enable the depth of field we just couldn't get in many cases with its predecessors. You put the new technology to good use.

Tom G
05-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tom, I am no technical photographer, my knowledge is very limited, but I knew with my first few shots from the K5 that I was experiencing something I had never before experienced. DRange, ISO abilities, excellent AF, or the superb new metering? I have no idea, maybe all of those, but it makes shooting a whole new affair.
I pick up my K5, and even as an amateur, I have confidence I will get the shot, and usually do.....which is just plain exciting!

Best Regards! & Thanks!
05-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I think we fall into the same category of nature photographers Rupert. From your posts we seem to share similar interests in subjects. I believe they used to call it serious amateur or something like that. In any case I recall how excited I was when I got my K10 about four years ago. It was my introduction to digital photography and it was great. I'm saving for a K5 at the moment and I'm sure the K5 will greatly improve my success rate with birds and other subjects. Hope I enjoy it as much as you seem to.

Cheers

Tom G
05-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I think we fall into the same category of nature photographers Rupert. From your posts we seem to share similar interests in subjects. I believe they used to call it serious amateur or something like that. In any case I recall how excited I was when I got my K10 about four years ago. It was my introduction to digital photography and it was great. I'm saving for a K5 at the moment and I'm sure the K5 will greatly improve my success rate with birds and other subjects. Hope I enjoy it as much as you seem to.

Cheers

Tom G
Tom, some of my best shots ever have been with the K10D...then the K20D. I have loved both of those, and cherish the times I spent with them. However.....I would not be honest if I told you that the K5 was just a minor upgrade. For what you shoot, if you are similar to me, the K5 is going to seem too good to be true....but the fact is, it is as good as it appears to be.....maybe better!

Look forward to it with joy, and at your earliest convenience, get one! There is no main aspect that impresses me the most, everything about it is equally impressive......but for Squirrels and Birds, the ability to bump the ISO and get some real speed is what satisfies me the most. Along with very accurate focus and metering.......and the great DR...and....the list is long!

Best Regards!
05-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
jac
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You tell Otis to quit slaving you, handsome as he is. As well as beautifully captured.
05-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Rupert, you might want Otis to take a look at this. Bob

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/143140-cityscape-otis-beware.html