Western Bowerbird
Camera: Pentax K7 ISO: 50 
Posted By: RobG, 05-08-2011, 12:13 AM

Views: 2,710
05-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I don't think I posted this one before. Pentax K7, DA55-300. Exposure 1/320x @ f5.8, ISO 200, 300mm. This beautiful bird was feeding on blossoms in a bush right next to the main trail in Kings Canyon. That's Kings Canyon in the Northern Territory in Australia, not the one in California!
05-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me it's a wow! Good job!
05-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Great shot, very nice detail and colors.
Regards!

05-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
For me it's a wow! Good job!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Great shot, very nice detail and colors.
Thank you! I wish I could have somehow got more visibility of the intense streak of lavender feathers on the back of his neck, but it's kind of hard to combine with wanting the bird to be looking at the camera.

So glad I bought the 55-300! Definitely a great lens for the price.
05-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rob ,very nice shot especially at that length. Never seen this bird before, they must inhabit the southern hemisphere. We will be in Kings Canyon for a week this year, so will check that area out just for you since you recognize it and report back. take care Bob
05-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Rob ,very nice shot especially at that length. Never seen this bird before, they must inhabit the southern hemisphere. We will be in Kings Canyon for a week this year, so will check that area out just for you since you recognize it and report back.
Thanks Bob! Bowerbirds are unique to Australia and Papua New Guinea. The males build display structures (bowers) which have a variety of shapes depending on the species.
Kings Canyon in the USA is much deeper than the one in NT. I visited there briefly with my parents in 1982. We were supposed to stay in the canyon but the river was in flood so we decided to so back to Sequoia National Park. I don't think I've ever seen such a mass of water flowing quite as quickly and violently as the Kings River in flood. Wish I'd had the K7 back then, but I had my Chinon CE4s. Sadly I think the negs have deteriorated beyond being able to be saved.

05-09-2011, 05:03 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster

This is the bower of a Satin Bowerbird. The adult male Satin Bowerbird is a rich, dark blue colour, and he likes to collect things which are blue. The bird with the best collection gets the most attention from the ladies. Bowerbirds are one of the few animals known to steal items which are not food from each other. A study was done using numbered pieces of blue glass and the scientists observed the pieces moving from bower to bower as the birds competed for the best collection. It was published in Scientific American.

The Satin Bowerbird is also known to use tools. I observed the bird who built this bower painting it with mud. He mixed some soil with water from an upturned lid in his collection and painted the sticks inside the bower. Other birds have been observed using a piece of bark as a brush to paint with.

By the way - the bower is a display structure, not a nest.

Last edited by RobG; 05-09-2011 at 05:05 AM. Reason: update