Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Walk to Fort Clatsop
Posted By: JamesD, 11-03-2007, 10:12 PM

My wife and I walked from Sunset Beach (along the Pacific Ocean) to Fort Clatsop today. I'd like to share a few images I made along the way. Nothing special since I only have the kit lens, but it was such a wonderful day I wanted to share them with someone. Hope you enjoy them.

The trail head at the Pacific. Here we parked our car and started the walk (about four miles).

A couple of views of the woods through which we walked.

We found a lot of fungi along the way.

Look closely at the next two images.

A little guy preparing for winter.

The trail nears the end.

My wife is totally involved with her k10d (and loving it!)

The walk nears a clearing.

Finally back into the woods and Fort Clatsop appears. Here is where Lewis and Clarke ended their trek to the Pacific.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by JamesD; 11-03-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Views: 1,201
11-04-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This was a really nice series of images. Consistant with the environment that I remember reading about when I read the original journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Thanks for posting. The images of the herons are quite moody and brooding. I like them _

Stephen
11-04-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.
11-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the journey James ( & Mrs James). We had the good fortune to visit Fort Clatsop in 2005, but didn't do that walk.
We attempted to follow as much of the Lewis & Clark trail back to Yellowstone via the tourist signs. It was very interesting.
Thanks for posting.
Grant

11-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Very nice walk and nice shots. Those mushrooms look scary>
11-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wouldn't touch those mushrooms for anything. lol

A confession. My wife was born and raised in Oregon. Lewis and Clark are old hat to her. I was born and raised in eastern Canada and hadn't a clue about who they were when I first arrived here eight years ago. In fact, I assumed that Lewis and Clark was a department store on the order of Myer and Frank. Needless to say, quite a few locals thought I was incredibly stupid but also appeared to enjoy ribbing me. That's okay. I soon learned the local history as well as something about the opening of the west. Quite fascinating.
11-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice shots James. I haven't been to Fort Clatsop since 4th grade (when all Portland kids study Oregon - including Lewis and Clark and the Oregon Trail). Looks like it might be time for a return trip.

11-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Betsy. We still have one trail to go which we're saving for another nice Saturday.
11-04-2007, 10:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A very nice series, thanks for sharing. I have not been to Fort Clatsop since I was a child. It looks like they did a good job of rebuilding the fort since it burned down awhile back. I get up to Fort Stevens several times a year (my kids love it), but we always seem to bypass Fort Clatsop. I'll have to make a point of stopping there next trip up.
11-05-2007, 01:33 AM   #10

Very nice!

I think that you captured the mood of the site when Lewis and Clark arrived, except for that last photo. They would have kissed whoever had left that for them. What a dark and wet place to spend a winter.

John
11-05-2007, 05:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you're selling the kit lens short when you say "Nothing special since I only have the kit lens", those are very nice pics and I also like the shot of the heron.
When my youngest son was here on leave this summer, the kit lens was his favorite of the lenses I had at the time and he got some great captures with it. He's in public relations in the Air Force and they shoot big time Nikons. By the time he left he was getting into the K10D although he had a hard time admitting it:-).
11-05-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again. You're undoubtedly right... I'm selling the lens short. It has considerable potential (although there are also limitations... I would have loved to have gotten closer to that heron). I suppose I've started to get caught up in the "if I only had such and such a lens" mindset and well...

You've given me a good reminder and I'm really grateful for it. Thanks again, everyone, for looking.
11-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice picture set! If you ever get a chance, go up to Washington and take the hike from Lake Ozette out tot the ocean beaches. 3 miles or so thru forest similar to this, and you end up at the ocean. You'd not regret it ;-)

Jim