Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I Would Have Invited You All
Posted By: Mike Cash, 11-04-2007, 03:21 AM

I would have invited you all, but I didn't know I was going myself until I got there.

I lucked up on a traditional Japanese dance group putting on its annual recital at our local community center. I already had all my gear with me since I was there for something else, so I went in, cased the joint, and decided to stay and shoot. The lady at the reception desk said it was fine to use flash, so I hauled out my light stand, remote triggers, etc. and had a blast for about three hours.

I was able to get enough flash onto the stage to allow me to shoot f4 on everything. That was perfect because with the Takumars anything smaller than that would have required me to open up, focus, then close down again....by which time I'd be out of focus.

I shot everything with the S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8 and the SMC Takumar 55/1.8, swapping out probably a couple dozen times. Good thing I have lots of practice at it. I believe all the photos posted here were from the 105/2.8

The little feller is two years old and was supposed to dance around as a bunny rabbit while all the other kids danced in kimono, but he got stage fright, poor little tyke.
Views: 2,713
11-04-2007, 05:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice work Mike. I especially like the first - no wonder you posted a larger image of that one. The last one I like too - those beautiful big black eyes - they tell a story.
11-04-2007, 05:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

This shot captures my attention. A beautiful shot.

I am heading to Japan in 2 weeks time. I would have to explore this type of photography opportunity myself.

James
11-04-2007, 05:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm learning that it pays to look in the weekly paper for listings of events on the weekend. There were at least three or four others I missed out on, all of which looked promising for the aspiring shutterbug. I'm going to make it a point to check the thing from now on.

Here's another, which I thought was a good candidate for a black and white conversion (and a silver gelatin toning):

11-04-2007, 06:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

wow , All very nice. This last one is very nice. Great work thanks for sharing. Next time call us
11-04-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I never miss taking a look at the images you make, Mike. They were all really great. What I particularly liked was the manner in which you lit your subjects. And having that glass with you was really fortuitous. My own favorite was the first shot with the last shot coming in a close second.
11-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike,

I really like these images. I particularly like the color and compostion of the third image... nice!

The sepia image reminded me of the images of my wife when wore kimono's as a child growing up in Yokohama, Japan. While kimonos are not everyday fair any more, for most, they certainly can command a king's ransom to purchase one of quality.

Stephen

11-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I really enjoyed these images. Excellent lighting, and the colors are outstanding. The toning on the last shot is perfect, makes the picture IMHO.
11-05-2007, 01:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

All very good Mike but the first is beautiful. I have seen Japanese dancers before and love it. You have captured the mood perfect.

Cheers
Eddie
11-05-2007, 04:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone. After I get all the usable shots processed I plan to make some prints and a CD for the group and share with them.

I felt just a wee bit intimidated when I went into the performance hall, knowing no one and having no connection with the group, and especially when I noticed that the entire back half of the hall was filled with guys set up on tripods and guys with what looked to be some incredibly high priced cameras and lenses the size of artillery. They weren't using flash and I have my doubts that any of them actually had fast enough lenses to capture anything. I'd love to see what they got.

Anyway, there I was, walked in like I owned the place, broke out a light stand, set up flash, and went and sat in the unoccupied front row with a K100D and a couple of antique screwmount lenses. The silver gelatin toned photo was done with a 55/1.8, which once upon a time bore the ignominy of being a "kit" lens. I think it does a great job and is probably just about the best twenty bucks I ever spent.

When the girls in the first image struck that pose I had one of those "Yes! Yes!" moments where you know this is the one shot you have to nail because it will be the one that makes the whole shoot worthwhile. Couldn't wait to get home and see it.
11-05-2007, 04:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great work Mike, excellent shots:-).
11-05-2007, 06:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Thanks, everyone. After I get all the usable shots processed I plan to make some prints and a CD for the group and share with them.
Good for you. That's a good way to build rapport. You might even get invited to dress rehearsals. Which of course would be better opportunities.
QuoteQuote:

I felt just a wee bit intimidated when I went into the performance hall,
Been there a few times myself. Its an awful feeling.
11-05-2007, 07:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In a way I think umpteen years of working in a field where I'm the only white guy and consequently stand out like a sore thumb no matter where I go or what I do has contributed to developing a fair amount of brass when it comes to stuff like the intimidating feeling....so I'm pretty used to not letting it slow me down.

I've sometimes been asked what it's like being a white truck driver in Japan, where there are no others (at least as far as I know). I reply that I think I know a little how Charlie Pride must have felt.
11-05-2007, 08:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Ooops, forgot about that. What do you mean no other - truck driver???? Or caucasian truck-driver!!!
11-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, there are more truck drivers here than you could count in a month of Sundays. You can sit right where you and count all the white ones.