Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Rupert has Otis and I have a "Buzz"
Lens: 18-250 pentax Camera: k20d Photo Location: Saugus Ma ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: charliezap, 05-12-2011, 04:35 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
I'm officially calling my hummingbird "Buzz" I don't know if he's the same one that I had for several years running.They say that the h-birds can live 7 years or so and can return to a friendly feeder.I shot the pic 2ft away from the feeder and he doesn't mind the flash. Maybe he's showing off for me.I hope he brings a date to the feeder someday.He must have a girlfriend somewhere nearby.---charliezap
Views: 1,751
05-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Charlie, love the color on the throat, I think the flash helps stop action. They do come back every years as you say and I am with you about a mate and am sure there is one close by. Keep us posted, love these little guys. Bob
05-13-2011, 04:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Charlie, love the color on the throat, I think the flash helps stop action. They do come back every years as you say and I am with you about a mate and am sure there is one close by. Keep us posted, love these little guys. Bob
Naming these guys "ruby throated" was a no brainer for someone. I had to use the flash as you can see it was getting dark at the time. I'm sure that in the near future "Buzz" will introduce me to his significant other.--charliezap
05-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice catch, Capn.

Jer

05-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Charlie....you know that is cheating, don't you? It costs next to nothing to feed a hummingbird. OTOH....Squirrels require a part-time job to feed them.
Squirrels do love hummers....Otis says they don't hog the birdseed like other birds do.
Best Regards!
05-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Nice catch, Capn.

Jer
Thanks my friend. The neat part about standing next to the feeder is that I can shoot at the WA end of the lens and still have decent DOF. Usually I'm at around 200mm from 10ft and the DOF really suffers with "Buzz" moving about.--charliezap
05-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Charlie....you know that is cheating, don't you? It costs next to nothing to feed a hummingbird. OTOH....Squirrels require a part-time job to feed them.
Squirrels do love hummers....Otis says they don't hog the birdseed like other birds do.
Best Regards!
"Buzz" is a lot of work for me Rupert.I have to refill his feeder every 2 weeks.It's a lot of work.--charliezap