Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My Father's Pens, My Brother's Books - C&C (and Help) Really Needed!!!
Posted By: Ari, 11-04-2007, 11:04 AM

I tried to highlight two pens in my father's collection and some recent books my brother just published. I don't think I did a great job at either. I think it may be time to look for some DIY light box instructions Is it the wrong lens, the wrong backdrop, or what?

The top of my father's Agathie Christie Fountain Pen:

Focus on his Ernest Hemingway ball-point:

I think I needed to open up the lens more on this - in hindsight, it would've been nicer to get a clearer focus:

Views: 1,790
11-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the top picture from an artistic point of view, however the bottom one is better since you can actually read both titles.

The only thing that I could recommend is move the bottom pen on the bottom one, so you can read everything.
11-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #3

Hi Ari,

I really like the motivation behind your attempt and have a few suggestions to offer:

In image 1, unless the small flower-like pattern on the cap of the pen immediately identifies it as an Agatha Christie, the DOF is too shallow. Even if that marquee proclaims its exclusivity to those in the know, the shallowness of the in-focus region of the pen does not communicate the character of the writing instrument.

The eye is most often drawn to regions of brightness and I find my attention being focused on the title of the book immediately beneath.

In my opinion, the images are too busy in color. Also, the placement of the books with respect to each other is a bit awkward, especially when seen in image 3. Unless you have a specific reason for placing them that way, you could perhaps move the book on top a bit higher while maintaining the angle.

If you are so inclined, you might want to try photographing these again in more subdued light - the reflection of the flash is a bit too harsh - and rendering the images in B&W. B&W has the advantage in most cases of eliminating the distraction of extraneous details and enabling one to focus on what is truly important in the scene. Dodge and burn are your friends in Photoshop.

I look forward to seeing your photographs!

Nikhil
11-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Nixarma:
Thank you for the suggestions-I think you're right about trying to render this in b&w - it may be a good alternative.
The logo on the top of the pens are actually Mont Blanc logo's - I was hoping they would be instantly recognizable
I am going to screw around some more with them and repost a few that handle black and white well.
Thanks

11-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow. I really misread this title at first.

Nice shots. The colors are really good and warm.