Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
the Grackle
Photo Location: Colorado River, Arizona ISO: 400 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 05-15-2011, 06:06 PM

Took this handheld shot from distance of this mischievous bird. C and C welcome. thanks Bob

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Bob Harris; 05-15-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Views: 1,716
05-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
thanks for looking. Bob

Last edited by Bob Harris; 05-16-2011 at 07:00 PM.
05-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have grackles and when the sun hits them just right they are very intense with the coloration.---charliezap
05-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We have hundreds of these all around us every day. They're noisy, crazy, lovely birds to watch. At dusk they congregate in this big tree and on the power lines nearby so they can gather and fly over to a nature park near here to spend the night. It's the highlight of my cats day that happening. It's their cat TV and they really look forward to seeing it.

05-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I have grackles and when the sun hits them just right they are very intense with the coloration.---charliezap
I know what you mean Charlie, they almost have a purple/black color when the sun hits just right.
05-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
We have hundreds of these all around us every day. They're noisy, crazy, lovely birds to watch. At dusk they congregate in this big tree and on the power lines nearby so they can gather and fly over to a nature park near here to spend the night. It's the highlight of my cats day that happening. It's their cat TV and they really look forward to seeing it.
That is too funny about the cats watching them and waiting each day for the view. Thanks for looking, I guess these birds can be very nasty also to other birds. thanks Bob
05-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What an intriguing bird!
Apparently if you can get the light just right, they are filled with colors.
Never seen one myself unfortunately ...

05-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
What an intriguing bird!
Apparently if you can get the light just right, they are filled with colors.
Never seen one myself unfortunately ...
John, the colors remind me of the black that you would see in a raven or some blackbirds when the sun hits them just right, thanks for taking a look, always appreciated. Bob
05-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah actually they can be, particularly when they all decide to gang up on something. The one thing I don't like about them is that they tend to take other bird's eggs and eat them when they can. We have ducks around here and they're always attacking the little ducklings and cracking open the duck eggs.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
That is too funny about the cats watching them and waiting each day for the view. Thanks for looking, I guess these birds can be very nasty also to other birds. thanks Bob
05-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think it is the eye color that make the grackle stand out; it is weird looking to say the least. Now Bob, if you could just get them to be quiet in the mornings until the coffee is made I would appreciate it.
05-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Yeah actually they can be, particularly when they all decide to gang up on something. The one thing I don't like about them is that they tend to take other bird's eggs and eat them when they can. We have ducks around here and they're always attacking the little ducklings and cracking open the duck eggs.
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I think it is the eye color that make the grackle stand out; it is weird looking to say the least. Now Bob, if you could just get them to be quiet in the mornings until the coffee is made I would appreciate it.
thanks to both for looking and commenting. If you would like to see the other thread I started on this bird, you can click on this link. thanks Bob

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/143873-nature-great-tailed-grackle.html
05-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I missed this one Bob. Sorry I'm late in replying. The books say these things are even here but I've never seen one. With your nicely composed and clear shot, I can now be certain that the one I see is what it is. TFS
05-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I missed this one Bob. Sorry I'm late in replying. The books say these things are even here but I've never seen one. With your nicely composed and clear shot, I can now be certain that the one I see is what it is. TFS
thank you Mar for taking a look and the nice comment. When I took this photo, it was blowing about 20mph, handheld at distance, so I was surprised it turned out this well. It really speaks well of all of our Pentax camera's. Bob