Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

A Few Postcards from Seattle
Posted By: mel, 05-16-2011, 04:51 AM

Yeah postcardy stuff. I finally got to go back "home" to Seattle where I grew up. My family no longer lives there so I haven't gotten to spend much time there in the past 20 years. So here's a few "postcard shots" I took while there.

My last night before flying home I went down to the waterfront again and got a little bonus of some perfect golden light against the skyline. Perfect end to a wonderful trip home.

I have about 12bazillion shots from the trip (also went down to Oregon for a few days to see family). I'll probably be posting more but this is just a few of, as I stated above, the "postcards."
Views: 2,849
05-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really nice, Mel!

Jim (posting from Denver...)

05-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #17
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I love these shots. That last one is really wonderful. The lighting is beautiful. When did it become an apologetic thing to take postcard shots? It is these kinds of well done shots that encourage people to get out and explore their surroundings. Anything that motivates in any way is A+ in my book. Well done.
Thank you! And yes of course. You're absolutely right. There is nothing wrong with postcard shots. With that last one I totally lucked out. I wasn't even originally planning to be back in Seattle that night and my friend wasn't available for dinner so I took myself back down to the waterfront and the light was to die for. I burned through several gigs then enjoyed some alder smoked cod. It was a perfect evening.
05-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #18
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Really nice, Mel!

Jim (posting from Denver...)
Thanks Jim. Enjoy Denver!
05-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Thanks Jim. Enjoy Denver!
Heh, not this trip... Four of us are spending all week in a small (windowless) room on our computers, creating scripts in a very unfriendly IBM program to test other software on our database servers... Not much in the way of free time for us gov't peons...

But I'll be back in June, and it's usually a lot nicer weather then too.

Jim

05-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #20
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Heh, not this trip... Four of us are spending all week in a small (windowless) room on our computers, creating scripts in a very unfriendly IBM program to test other software on our database servers... Not much in the way of free time for us gov't peons...

But I'll be back in June, and it's usually a lot nicer weather then too.

Jim
I wish I could say the same for me and Seattle. It's funny how a place that was home for sooooo long never really stops being home no matter how many other places you live.
05-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The last pic looks pretty sharp
05-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really nice shots. I'm going there for the first time this summer and can't wait... your photos are teasing me

All of them are great, but I think my favorite is the first. The ferry with the mountains behind it is so foreign to me!

05-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #23
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Guayabero Quote
The last pic looks pretty sharp
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Really nice shots. I'm going there for the first time this summer and can't wait... your photos are teasing me

All of them are great, but I think my favorite is the first. The ferry with the mountains behind it is so foreign to me!
Yeah it'll be quite a bit different from Long Island. The mountains behind the boat is the Olympic range on the Olympic Penninsula. The shot was taken from Alki Beach in West Seattle. Remember those names for some great views lol.

One thing that struck me strongly on this trip was the smell. In a good way. The ocean, especially the Puget Sound, has a smell that I always associated with salt water. It's not a foul smell but just an ocean smell. Well when I went to an Atlantic beach for the first time, there was no smell. Or at least not the smell I had some to associate with ocean/salt water. So when you go to the waterfront or any beach on the sound, take note of the smell.

I need to get out to LI one of these days. I hear it's beautiful.
05-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love it here, and have lived here my whole life... but I know I'm going to love Seattle too... for some of the same reasons (coasts, harbors, water-views), but different reasons too (mountains, a new city).

There is a smell here. I know Puget Sound goes out to the Pacific, but really isn't the ocean itself. On Long Island we have that on both sides... north is the Long Island Sound, south is the Great South Bay... and you can get that strong salt-water smell in both places. It's a smell (and sight) I'd miss terribly if I ever moved inland!

If you ever come out to Long Island let me know... and see my sig... follow me on FB if you're there

Amy
05-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I wish I could say the same for me and Seattle. It's funny how a place that was home for sooooo long never really stops being home no matter how many other places you live.
Yeah, I know *exactly* what you mean... We spent 27 years in Nebraska, but Seattle was always "Home".

Jim
05-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #26
Inactive Account

These are better than postcards imo! Very nice pictures!
05-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #27
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
These are better than postcards imo! Very nice pictures!

Awwww thanks!