Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Old and Older: Another "Bored at Work Macro"
Posted By: Mike Cash, 11-05-2007, 04:51 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

These days fooling around with macro and off-camera flash while stuck with nothing to do during the lunch hour is getting to be quite a habit.

Today's models are an SMC-A 50/2 supporting an SMC Takumar 55/1.8, photographed with S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8 with extension tubes and two flashes.

Views: 1,347
11-05-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very cool shot . If it was me I would try the top lens with an angle . Are you using the Catus v2 ?? I am thinking of getting one of those to try with cheap old Pentax flashes . All TTL so nobody touches them !
11-06-2007, 05:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This was in my truck, so I didn't have the advantage of a level and stable platform, nor much time (done during lunch break). It was hard enough just getting the top lens to sit there. I had to brace it on the far side with a 5 yen coin to keep it from rolling off the other side.

My radio trigger is the Chinese 16 channel model from eBay, the one with "RF616" on the transmitter and the cord dangling from the receiver. I only have one receiver, so the other flash was fired with an optical slave.

After the fun I had at the dance recital the other day I'm determined to get at least three more receivers. I noticed that when I set up a second flash with the slave quite often someone with a P&S in the audience "borrowed" my flash. God bless; I hope it helped them.

I just received a Pentax AF200T flash in the mail today. Not terribly strong output (G.N. 20 in meters) but it's pretty compact and has four manual power settings (1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8). I have to rig up a homemade Gorillapod for it out of stout wire and 1/4 20 bolts. Set in close as a secondary light the modest output won't be a problem, and the ability to adjust the power is just what the strobist doctor ordered. About $20 for this, or about $130 for a new 285HV (shipped)....give me the AF200T. And I have my eyes on another one on auction closing out in a couple of days.
11-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for your info Mike .

I am sure it's hard enough for you to shoot with manual old lens , much less with wireless flash ! And you do a wonderful job with it .

Just FYI : Have you check out the fleabay gadgetinfinity store ? Their 285HV is for USD 89.95 + 20 to US . Perhaps less to Japan ( from Hong Kong ) ?

Vivitar 285HV flash for Pentax K10D K110D K100D *ist - (eBay item 170165177827 end time Nov-08-07 20:16:19 PST)

Also I do carry a standard MacGyver "tool kit " : Wire coat hanger , duct tape , wire paper clips ,heavy duty foil... You can set up little things in just about any positions

11-08-2007, 12:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link; I'll have to keep them in mind as a source. Shipping here is $20 as well, but that beats what it would cost me from the States. I notice the G.N. is 21 (meters) so it apparently is comparable to the AF200T, which is a suprisingly compact unit. I got to test it out the other day and it works fine. It lacks swivel/tilt, but when used off camera it isn't needed at all so that's not a drawback.

My next acquisition will be extra triggers, then at least one more 2 meter light stand and one more AF200T. They're compact and light enough that I'm thinking I can probably manage to secure them on the backs of unoccupied seats down front at performances and get some good cross-lighting that way. Or maybe secure them to some railings or some such. The homemade wire mini-tripods I've seen from others on the web look like they can be adapted to latch onto just about anything.