Lens: Sigma 105mm Macro Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Perth ISO: 50 
Posted By: eaglem, 05-18-2011, 08:57 PM

Cutting out the calories!

Views: 3,023
05-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well EM, you just gave my wife and I a pretty good laugh. Very innovative, I think I will skip my Cheerios tomorrow. Bob
05-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I won't comment on the qualities of this photo; as I understand it, you were attempting to be funny.
05-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks to both of you for your comments.

05-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the quality of the photo is terrific EM, thanks Bob
05-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
the quality of the photo is terrific EM, thanks Bob
Since re-adjusting the focus via the menu everything is coming up sharp and clear.
05-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
I won't comment on the qualities of this photo; as I understand it, you were attempting to be funny.
Aren't you all rainbows, cupcakes and warm fuzzy feelings.

Nice concept eaglem, something a little different and creative.

05-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the positive comment wjt and I usually ignore mischivo's remarks and treat them with the contempt they deserve.
05-18-2011, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wjt Quote
Aren't you all rainbows, cupcakes and warm fuzzy feelings.

Nice concept eaglem, something a little different and creative.
On the contrary, I'm not. I don't issue undeserved positive sentiments. Nor are my criticisms undeserved or illegitimate. Face it, when you put your so-called "artwork" out into the public space, you open yourself to both negative and positive review. It's unrealistic to expect only praise, when there are clearly many poor examples to be found on these forums. Someone has to expose people to reality, but most people here just gush compliments regardless of the level of work.

Allow me to elaborate on why this photo is a poor image:
1. It is poorly cropped (and cropped it is).
2. For something shot in direct sunlight, the blacks are much too prominent. You've created unintended holes in your image.
3. In terms of perspective, the image lacks depth cues. You've managed to vanquish perspective two-fold, via extremely deep focus and flat lighting on both its front and side faces. This could've been averted had you allowed the box's orthographic nature shine through and shot from a steeper angle than straight on. We need a visual angle for depth cues. Looking at this pains my eyes and brain, I'm seeing it in convex and concave and can't lock onto the latter.
4. Ugly knife: looks like a dollar-store steak knife. Nothing wrong with cheap steak knifes, my mother has them and they cut well, but they're too ugly for photos, and not a conventional weapon (that would be a chef's knife).
5. Horrible choice of background. One side is black shadows. The other is some white stump. The other is brown ground (marbelite, stucco?).
6. The first pun is pretty good, but you don't need to repeat it. It reeks of desperation: "Did you get it, did you get it? I made a joke. Get it?"

Last edited by mischivo; 05-19-2011 at 12:05 AM.
05-19-2011, 12:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

As usual Mischivo, whatever the accuracy of your assessment, you are incredibly grim & humourless, not to say deleterious, with your comments, especially so considering this is just a light hearted snap to garner a smile. Which for most people I'm sure it did.
05-19-2011, 12:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Someone has to expose people to reality, but most people here just gush compliments regardless of the level of work.
I apologise, I didn't realise you had appointed yourself as the God of Photography and will promise to be much more careful in your presence from this point on.
05-19-2011, 01:49 AM   #12
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On the contrary, I'm not. I don't issue undeserved positive sentiments. Nor are my criticisms undeserved or illegitimate. Face it, when you put your so-called "artwork" out into the public space, you open yourself to both negative and positive review. It's unrealistic to expect only praise, when there are clearly many poor examples to be found on these forums. Someone has to expose people to reality, but most people here just gush compliments regardless of the level of work.

Allow me to elaborate on why this photo is a poor image:
1. It is poorly cropped (and cropped it is).
2. For something shot in direct sunlight, the blacks are much too prominent. You've created unintended holes in your image.
3. In terms of perspective, the image lacks depth cues. You've managed to vanquish perspective two-fold, via extremely deep focus and flat lighting on both its front and side faces. This could've been averted had you allowed the box's orthographic nature shine through and shot from a steeper angle than straight on. We need a visual angle for depth cues. Looking at this pains my eyes and brain, I'm seeing it in convex and concave and can't lock onto the latter.
4. Ugly knife: looks like a dollar-store steak knife. Nothing wrong with cheap steak knifes, my mother has them and they cut well, but they're too ugly for photos, and not a conventional weapon (that would be a chef's knife).
5. Horrible choice of background. One side is black shadows. The other is some white stump. The other is brown ground (marbelite, stucco?).
6. The first pun is pretty good, but you don't need to repeat it. It reeks of desperation: "Did you get it, did you get it? I made a joke. Get it?"
Im not saying you have to be positive if you feel the material is not good, but instead of being abrasive and disparaging maybe try being helpful. One of the items 1-5 could have been in order if you had the overwhelming desire to post. Not all that frequent these forums are fantastic photographers that never take a bad shot. Everyone has something to learn, some more than others.
05-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #13

Mischivo, I suppose you were one of those gifted, but very rare people, who are perfect in everything that the do, even the very first time. Hell must be a real bore having to put up with us mortals.
05-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, EM - one always hates to see these tragic crimes take place. However,the poor victim may have been asking for it; I hear he was a real flake.

Jer
05-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey, EM - one always hates to see these tragic crimes take place. However,the poor victim may have been asking for it; I hear he was a real flake.

Jer
Could have expected that wry humour from you Jer, well appreciated.