Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
HDR WARNING!!! You will either Love this or Hate this
Lens: Sigma 28-70 Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: El Paso Texas ISO: 200 Aperture: F11 
Posted By: ggeorge11, 05-19-2011, 08:07 PM

You either Love HDR or Hate it. I thought I would post this separate from the other Concordia shots. As always CC is always welcome.

Views: 2,113
05-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
looks more like a painting than a photo, here is one vote for I like it.
Question, was this done completely with the camera editing? thanks Bob
05-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the stuff in the foreground but the tree, sky and mountains don't work for me.
05-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Here is the untouched version, Vaughn you make a great point, I lost a lot of detail, The tree is like that because I cranked on the vivid colors, I tried to smooth the sky out some, but took the detail form the mountains also.

05-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Foreground is cool, background not so cool. You might want to get rid of the CA outlining the mountains too as HDR just ramps it up even more.
05-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Great comments all, and thanks!!! I have a plan to go back and shoot in the morning light, The mountains are to the west and the sun was starting to set, so I lost a ton of detail there. Even in the original, the mountains just did not stand out. Only after I got home did I think about that. I will be here 2 more weeks, and it is a 5 minute drive from my hotel, so for these at least, I can re do these. Since the K5 will do 5 bracketed shots, I hope that will bring out those mountains more. And if I decide to Crank the HDR settings, I am going to go easy on the vivid color, That look in the background, I call it "made of china look" That is the only way I can describe it.

Last edited by ggeorge11; 05-19-2011 at 09:07 PM.
05-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Wow... this is simply surreal!
The only criticism I'd have is where the sky seems to fight with the rest of the scene(contrasts).
Then again, I have no way of knowing if that's a bad thing either. And so its basically nothing but a reflex comment.

Anyways, I like it!
I think the image and composition strikes an air of controversy.
05-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There's HDR, and then there's this drug-induced trip, which is not HDR.

HDR = "High Dynamic Range"

That is, the point is to extend the luminance range your medium of choice is capable of capturing. You have extended nothing, as your camera was clearly capable of capturing the brightest brights of the clouds and the darkest darks of the shrubs in the middleground. What you have done is created an ugly mess.

If you would like to practice real HDR, have a go at photographing a gloomy room with a window that overlooks a bright street.

On the slight chance that you choose not to practice real HDR, with all the finicky work that may involve (bracketing multiple exposures!), then please don't refer to what you do as HDR. It's not. It's not even HDR-like. In fact, anyone whose actual HDR work results in this type of aesthetic is clearly not doing it correctly.

Last edited by mischivo; 05-19-2011 at 11:07 PM.
05-20-2011, 03:25 AM   #9
Oso
Site Supporter

When my son's great, great, great grandmother died a few years back, she left all these real old postcards, from the thirties and such, and many of them had a similar look and feel to them, kind of a hand painted or tinted thing. Back then, you had to hand paint photos to get color into them, and this reminds me of that. So, on the merits of just looking at the image, all HDR issues aside, this is what this image reminds me of.
05-20-2011, 04:24 AM   #10
Pentaxian

+1 mischivo

I'm not a fan of over cooked images like this, and from a purely compositional standpoint it isn't a strong image to start with. HDR is a tricky thing, get it right and it adds to an image, do it badly and it makes things substantially worse. The only positive thing about this image is that the textures in the sand contrasting with the comparatively smooth tombstones looks nice. But the CA from the lens, the un-sharpness of the tree, The blown highlights and the lacking strength of the composition used makes this image an aesthetic atrocity.
05-20-2011, 06:01 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Mischivo, I should have called it a pseudo HDR, It is just one image, I do work with stacked images, I took 5 images from -4 to +4, in RAW+, I am TDY and this lap top doesn't have the power to do work that. I am saving all of my pictures to process when I get back. both you and Digitalis see CA on the mountains, the sun was setting and I need to watch that.

I was just playing around with the K5 and laptop, you get bored when you're TDY. I sure did not mean to anger either of you. As far as the tree goes, the winds were 40-50 mph at the time, I posted some of my other shots on this post.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/144495-black-white-cocor...l-paso-tx.html
05-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I love it! The surreal thing is very cool!
05-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Clavious, When I get home I am going to use my RAW files to remove that purple fringe, I looked at the original file on my friends home PC here in El Paso, and I can see it on his monitor.

John D, controversy, is an understatement, but can't please everyone! But I can say I posted an aesthetic atrocity, so I guess I have no where to go but up.

Last edited by ggeorge11; 05-25-2011 at 01:57 PM.