Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Cars Once Coveted [Note: 12 IMG]
Posted By: Sailor, 05-22-2011, 01:36 PM

Yesterday, I stopped by one of the local car shows that pop up around here this time of year. The show consisted primarily of the usual assortment of '60's muscle cars and '70's Vettes that typify these shows, but a couple of cars (both of which I coveted at one time) particularly attracted my attention.

When I was 18 and 19, I badly wanted a Shelby GT-350 with a 306 HP version of Fords K-Code 289; I owned a snappy '65 Mustang with a 4 Spd and a more prosaic version of the 289, but I was captured by Shelby's mystique on the track with his 289 Cobras. Pictured here is (assuming it's genuine) a '66 GT-350H, one of the cars Shelby manufactured for Hertz. The owner, unfortunately, was not around when I looked at the car.

The second set of photos illustrates a very nicely restored '65 MGB. By 1970 (while I was in grad school and driving a Mach I Mustang), I caught the bug to buy a real sports car, and after driving numerous examples that were available at the time, the (by then) aging MGB rose to the top of the list, despite the more sophisticated offerings from other manufacturers. Ultimately, my wife and I bowed to common sense and remained with a car having four seats. I didn't get to scratch that itch for an MG until '95 when I bought my first Miata.

Jer

Shelby GT-350:

MGB:

Views: 3,154
05-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lynn Quote
Ah, there's a problem. When I'm in the MG, no photos. And when it's just sitting there without driver, well, it just looks so lonely! (Maybe I can hoodwink my wife into sitting in the driver's seat for a minute.)

Lynn
OK, Lynn - here's the deal. I'm showing you mine, so you gotta show us yours.

Jer

Our 3rd Miata (now departed), the spiritual sucessor of the MG: