Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cars Once Coveted [Note: 12 IMG]
Camera: LX5 ISO: 80 
Posted By: Sailor, 05-22-2011, 01:36 PM

Yesterday, I stopped by one of the local car shows that pop up around here this time of year. The show consisted primarily of the usual assortment of '60's muscle cars and '70's Vettes that typify these shows, but a couple of cars (both of which I coveted at one time) particularly attracted my attention.

When I was 18 and 19, I badly wanted a Shelby GT-350 with a 306 HP version of Fords K-Code 289; I owned a snappy '65 Mustang with a 4 Spd and a more prosaic version of the 289, but I was captured by Shelby's mystique on the track with his 289 Cobras. Pictured here is (assuming it's genuine) a '66 GT-350H, one of the cars Shelby manufactured for Hertz. The owner, unfortunately, was not around when I looked at the car.

The second set of photos illustrates a very nicely restored '65 MGB. By 1970 (while I was in grad school and driving a Mach I Mustang), I caught the bug to buy a real sports car, and after driving numerous examples that were available at the time, the (by then) aging MGB rose to the top of the list, despite the more sophisticated offerings from other manufacturers. Ultimately, my wife and I bowed to common sense and remained with a car having four seats. I didn't get to scratch that itch for an MG until '95 when I bought my first Miata.

Jer

Shelby GT-350:

MGB:

Views: 3,155
05-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for posting these Jer,

Nice to see some of that old Detroit iron.

When I was in high school I drooled over the MG. A friend of mine had one and girls dripping off both arms as I recall. Looking back the girls might explain some of the drool but I digress. In any case that MG still looks pretty good to me although I don't recall the engine ever being that clean..

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 05-22-2011 at 03:00 PM.
05-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series mate.It's great to traipse down memory lane once in a while.--capn zap
05-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Jer, memories...... You're doing good with that LX5.

05-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Thanks for posting these Jer,

Nice to see some of that old Detroit iron.

When I was in high school I drooled over the MG. A friend of mine had one and girls dripping off both arms as I recall. Looking back the girls might explain some of the drool but I digress. In any case that MG still looks pretty good to me although I don't recall the engine ever being that clean..

Tom G
Yup, there was something about the MGB. The car still looks fresh and sharp after all these years.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice series mate.It's great to traipse down memory lane once in a while.--capn zap
Indeed it is, Capn.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Thanks Jer, memories...... You're doing good with that LX5.
Hey Heinrich - thanks for looking. Yeah, this little LX5 is great for an outing like this in which I want to keep photography is in the back seat (no pun intended - well . . . .). As it turned out, I spent more time shooting than I'd planned, so I sorta wished I'd brought my K-5 .

Jer
05-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My uncle had the Shelby, I drove it a couple of times and it preformed very well. He wishes he had never sold it now, like all of us with the cars we once owned and now can't afford to buy one. Bob
05-23-2011, 05:04 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
My uncle had the Shelby, I drove it a couple of times and it preformed very well. He wishes he had never sold it now, like all of us with the cars we once owned and now can't afford to buy one. Bob
Yeah - you can't go back, but it's fun to remember the era.

Jer

05-23-2011, 05:28 AM   #8

Ah, now, just wait one minute here! That MG has antique vehicle plates. And if my MG had antique plates, why, that would mean that I'm a geezer, too. It just ain't right!

Lynn
05-23-2011, 05:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

love those mg shots jer! captured all of it's vintage perspectives.... now if i could only convince my wife to let me have one..... hmmmmmmmmm...... NOT !!! i can dream, can't i??? dave ,
05-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Boy did I lust after a Mustang. This one is beautifully restored. Great shots, Jer!
05-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lynn Quote
Ah, now, just wait one minute here! That MG has antique vehicle plates. And if my MG had antique plates, why, that would mean that I'm a geezer, too. It just ain't right!

Lynn
Naw Lynn - you'll probably never be a geezer - how about posting some shots of your MG? I still love 'em, even though I never owned one.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
love those mg shots jer! captured all of it's vintage perspectives.... now if i could only convince my wife to let me have one..... hmmmmmmmmm...... NOT !!! i can dream, can't i??? dave ,
You're welcome to dream, my friend. Why don't you leave brochures under her pillow? I'm fortunate, my wife encouraged me to buy the roadster!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Boy did I lust after a Mustang. This one is beautifully restored. Great shots, Jer!
Thanks much, Tamia. I sure appreciate it.

Jer
05-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots of classic cars...............
05-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Naw Lynn - you'll probably never be a geezer - how about posting some shots of your MG? I still love 'em, even though I never owned one.
Jer
Ah, there's a problem. When I'm in the MG, no photos. And when it's just sitting there without driver, well, it just looks so lonely! (Maybe I can hoodwink my wife into sitting in the driver's seat for a minute.)

Lynn
05-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I still covet the MG....
05-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Nice shots of classic cars...............
Thanks very much.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
I still covet the MG....
Why not? It had its faults, but there was something about it . . . . . . . . .

Jer