Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Air at Dusk
Lens: sigma 85mm 1.4 Camera: k-x ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F2 
Posted By: outsider, 05-23-2011, 08:58 PM

Views: 3,397
05-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I really like it, but if there was ever a good photo that could be made fantastic through PP, this one is it.
05-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I really like it, but if there was ever a good photo that could be made fantastic through PP, this one is it.
Really!? Maybe you could share some of your expertise?
05-24-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm no expert that's for sure, don't even own photoshop, but here's what a couple of minutes in Aperture will do

05-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't do these, but I thought I'd muck around briefly to try i out and ended up with this in a couple of minutes.

I'd change a few things from this.

But of course it depends on what you want from the photo. Some people don't want the glam photo look.

Last edited by CWyatt; 03-27-2013 at 01:26 PM.
05-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Twitch, I was half joking, although I do appreciate your input. It's always fun to see what other peoples opinions are. I do see your point however, despite you not being an expert and you not owning photoshop. I have photoshop and I am bit of a minimalist. I usually do a pinch of sharpening. Just enough that one may probably not tell if they were pixel peeping. I dash of contrast and either slight saturation or vibrance. I apply all cautiously, especially contrast and vibrance, since they can have a drastically negative effect, depending on the respective photo. I processed this picture as minimally as possible, while maintaining the realistic look of everything. I don't like pushing color saturation (yes there's many names for this), because you lose detail, contrast and highlights at a certain thresholds. Although the girl in the photo may evoke a "glamour" look to some people, my intention was to capture her as close to reality as possible, color, shadow, highlights, imperfections. The raw file, untouched in photoshop was pretty close and I didn't have to do much in PP, to get it just right. To my taste, that is. Of course, every monitor displays color, contrast and detail differently, so what one see's at home may be completely different than what he sees at his cousins house, even with similar settings. I tend to (but not always) keep things minimal so that thing will never look overdone, or blown out.
05-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
While twitch's quick revision shows a dramatic change from your posted shot, which some may or may not like, he still has a good point. I prefer twitch's version. It may not be natural, but the photo is much more pleasing and easier to look at.

While the original is a nice photo, my eyes keep straying to the shiny spot on the subject's forehead. The light is too harsh and it's a distraction and I'd suggest removing it, even if you keep the rest of the photo more natural, to really make the photo great as suggested.

05-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Eh. Everybody's got a advice. We all have our reasons for allowing a photo to look a certain way. I like it when I get home and see that the image looks just the way it was, shiny forehead, pits, zits and imperfections, with brilliant exposure. Makes my job easier. Maybe I'll post this in photo critique instead next time.
05-29-2011, 01:55 AM   #9

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how did you get a ISO of 100 when the K-x cannot go any lower than 200?
05-29-2011, 02:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MacRider71 Quote
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how did you get a ISO of 100 when the K-x cannot go any lower than 200?
No such thing as a stupid question. And that is certainly not one. The k-x is expandable from 100 to I believe 12,000 or something in that range. You have to go into the menu and change the ISO settings to "expand range". This will give you the option of setting the ISO to 100. It's a really nice feature, much better than many Nikons, which, rather than using an actual ISO number at lower ranges, they instead mimic a lower ISO, which introduces more noise to the picture. The D90 is like this The K-5 can be set as low as ISO 80!
05-29-2011, 02:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No such thing as a stupid question. And that is certainly not one. The k-x is expandable from 100 to I believe 12,000 or something in that range. You have to go into the menu and change the ISO settings to "expand range". This will give you the option of setting the ISO to 100. It's a really nice feature, much better than many Nikons, which, rather than using an actual ISO number at lower ranges, they instead mimic a lower ISO, which introduces more noise to the picture. The D90 is like this The K-5 can be set as low as ISO 80!
05-29-2011, 02:24 AM   #12

Thankyou outsider for reply. I have just played around with the K-x in the menu settings and i cannot for the life of me pinpoint the iso settings... any direction would be helpful and appreciated
05-29-2011, 02:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thankyou outsider for reply. I have just played around with the K-x in the menu settings and i cannot for the life of me pinpoint the iso settings... any direction would be helpful and appreciated
No problem. Press "Menu", then the arrow left pad (9 times I believe), then select "Expanded Sensitivity", then select "On". This will allow the ISO setting to be set from 100-12,800
05-29-2011, 02:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, arrow pad right 9 times.
05-29-2011, 03:05 AM   #15

Many thanks. All sorted!