Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

One way to compromise, Playing with Shadows. A Peregrine Falcons pictures
Posted By: little laker, 11-07-2007, 02:59 AM

These aren't my nicest ever photographs, but it shows just one way to compromise with harsh conditions.

I couldn't photograph this Peregrine Falcon due to the bright sun overhead, so I did the next best thing and photographed the shadows

I'll paste the cropped pic under the full sized picture.

Sorry for the dust specks.

They were taken about 2 months ago, during a photographers shootout, where I was the only Pentax shooter.
Views: 3,434
11-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #16
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Woa really, thats very strange.... I dont have another monitor readily accessible to test on.. Mine is set to 32bit color too. The version I resized looks fine to me, but the original has some serious posterizing. But, I look at such a large number of images on the net, every day and this is the first time I have seen something like this..... I dont understand whats going on...

11-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Our guide was free, so I'm not too worried about him being wrong.
We still all had a good time there, and that's all that matters.

I did notice the burnt pixels and I also had around 4 dust specks on my sensor at that time Jeff, however I cleaned the sensor as soon as I got home and the pixels don't seem to happen very often.
I don't know what causes them, and I've only noticed it in about 4 pictures

I believe you Andreas,
I don't see it in my pictures, and don't know what would cause the situation, but I believe that you see something there.

If you don't see it in your reduction there's a chance that it may have been caused by my software.
I can't really change my software, or re-calibrate my screen to see what your seeing.
I calibrated my system the same as my developers and I don't want to do it over again.
11-08-2007, 02:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

That was a good idea with the shadow shots. I like the second photo best and the way it shows the details of the wings. I don't see the problem Andreas is talking about either.

Cheers
Eddie
11-08-2007, 04:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks for the diag. Jeff. I'm not a birder either but comparing the image with the diag. I would have to agree with the vulture. Stu, what do the others in the other forum say?

11-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

And...

I also see the posterizing. I wonder why it doesn't show up on others' monitors?

To add to the confusion- I'm seeing artifacts (?) all along the ridgeline...