Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
One way to compromise, Playing with Shadows. A Peregrine Falcons pictures
Posted By: little laker, 11-07-2007, 02:59 AM

These aren't my nicest ever photographs, but it shows just one way to compromise with harsh conditions.

I couldn't photograph this Peregrine Falcon due to the bright sun overhead, so I did the next best thing and photographed the shadows

I'll paste the cropped pic under the full sized picture.

Sorry for the dust specks.

They were taken about 2 months ago, during a photographers shootout, where I was the only Pentax shooter.
Views: 3,424
11-07-2007, 05:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think those are VERY neat!! ...maybe even MORE intersting than the every day 'bird in the sky' photo!
11-07-2007, 05:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ummmm...

I do believe your peregrine falcon is a turkey vulture...
11-07-2007, 05:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Very clever indeed - opening OUR eyes to see what IS available.

Now, I'm ready for the debate between 2 long-standing birders.

11-07-2007, 06:12 AM   #5
and
Veteran Member

Looks like the first one has been pushed quite a bit in post, the sky is posterizing. the perils of jpeg....
11-07-2007, 07:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stu,

Got to agree with Tom on this one. This is cleary a turkey vulture.

I do like the way that you captured it moving along the face of the rocks though. Unfortunately, the rocks biased the meter making the dark buzzard even darker. But, cool capture.

Stephen
11-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Nice shots! Always a challenge to capture images of birds when they zip over head.
Tom may be right in his identification. (Actually, he is sledom wrong when it comes to birds! )

I found this chart on line and I think it is also in one of the bird books I have too. The wings on your bird just don't seem quite right to be a falcon.

Actually I am jealous; all we have overhead right now are a zillion seagulls which aren't that exciting to photograph.

11-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Tough capture. And I agree... I also believe it is a turkey vulture.
11-07-2007, 09:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm no birder, I was going by what our guide called it.
The truth is I didn't think that there were any falcons in the area, but he assured us that's what it was

I just found found a thread on it, where you can actually see me, believe it or not I'm the guy with the Pentax
look here
Although they didn't mention the bird or guides name.
11-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Looks like the first one has been pushed quite a bit in post, the sky is posterizing. the perils of jpeg....
Actually the only post processing in these pictures was the crop I did
11-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #11
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Actually the only post processing in these pictures was the crop I did
Really, thats very strange, if thats straight from the camera then there almost seems to be something wrong with the camera. look at the sky to the right as it goes towards the top right corner. I can count 6 shades of blue because the traisition between each is very obvious and is also a very blocky line. Did you accidentally reduce the number of colors in the image when you resized it? The sky should be a smooth gradient.
11-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've taken several thousand pictures since this series, and you've seen lots of them.
I don't think that it's a flaw in the camera, however I suppose that it's possible no-one noticed until now

I don't think that it's possible to reduce the number of colors in the image when I resize an image with my software. Although I haven't looked.

Here's links to the full sized un-edited version, along with the picture before and after.
Your more than welcome to look at them and compare the info.
photo before

the top picture

the following image

They were taken before I realized that my time and date were way off wack (you'll see that they still show a future date) but other than that you'll notice that the information is in order.
11-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #13
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I've taken several thousand pictures since this series, and you've seen lots of them.
I don't think that it's a flaw in the camera, however I suppose that it's possible no-one noticed until now

I don't think that it's possible to reduce the number of colors in the image when I resize an image with my software. Although I haven't looked.
I havent seen this in any of your other pictures. I think its strange that you are not seeing the same thing as me. I have resized the original and attatched it to this post, so you can compare the sky.

Is anyone else also seeing this?

The rest of the image looks the same, but pay attention to the blue sky.

Compare to the original resize:
Attached Images

11-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I can count 6 shades of blue because the traisition between each is very obvious and is also a very blocky line.
Nope - I do not see it. My monitor is set for 1280X960. If I reset it at a lower setting I get kind of a wonky, banded picture. I downloaded the picture and lightened the sky in photoshop and still I do not see any distinct colour bands. The sky is a smooth gradient.

However, I do see several spots that look like burnt pixels and at least one dust spot.

I would suggest you try viewing this image on another monitor to see if this phenomenon persists.

(And Stu - I hope the old bush guide didn't soak you too much for the informed birder's hike if he can't tell a falcon from a vulture. Hopefully he was entertaining in other aspects.)

Last edited by J.Scott; 11-07-2007 at 07:42 PM.
11-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well... I for one don't see any difference. Is there a chance that it is something in your monitor?