Posted By: zeebee777, 05-26-2011, 01:12 PM

my other macro shot:

Attached Images

Views: 1,168
05-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't see the exif data but would say I feel an increased DOF would have helped a lot in this shot.
05-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I can't see the exif data but would say I feel an increased DOF would have helped a lot in this shot.
im only 11! can you repeat that but in less technical langauge?
05-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zeebee777 Quote
im only 11! can you repeat that but in less technical langauge?
I'm sorry, I was unaware of your age but you did sound older than 11 y.o. Okay what I meant is that the shot needed an increased Depth of Field which means you get more of the flower in focus and this is done by making the aperture of the lens smaller, say for instance, F11 or F16. I know it sounds back to front but the larger the number in F stops the smaller the opening is on the lens which gives you a sharper image. I hope this helps.

05-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I'm sorry, I was unaware of your age but you did sound older than 11 y.o. Okay what I meant is that the shot needed an increased Depth of Field which means you get more of the flower in focus and this is done by making the aperture of the lens smaller, say for instance, F11 or F16. I know it sounds back to front but the larger the number in F stops the smaller the opening is on the lens which gives you a sharper image. I hope this helps.
i take photography very seriously, i know what f/stop is and does, and anyway i was trying to get the back ground out of focus but it looks like the flower was to close to ground as i had an f/stop of 2.8 and i meant what does EXIF and DOF mean but i found out now is this right?: EXIF means exposure ISO f/stop and DOF is depth of field?
05-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zeebee, EXIF is the data that all digital cameras record every time that a picture is taken. It includes f-stop, shutter speed, iso setting, whether the flash was fired or not, time of day and date and much more.

Now to this picture, at this close distance DOF at f:2.8 is really shallow, f:11-16 would have worked better and even than you have to pay close attention to focus. Try manual focus and just move the camera back and forth to achieve the desired effect. If there is not enough light try the flash or increase the iso to 400.

Take care and don't give up. You are probably the youngest member on this forum and I am probably the oldest, so it evens out.
05-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Continue with the determination Zeebee!

Good explanation Heinrich.
05-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Zeebee, EXIF is the data that all digital cameras record every time that a picture is taken. It includes f-stop, shutter speed, iso setting, whether the flash was fired or not, time of day and date and much more.

Now to this picture, at this close distance DOF at f:2.8 is really shallow, f:11-16 would have worked better and even than you have to pay close attention to focus. Try manual focus and just move the camera back and forth to achieve the desired effect. If there is not enough light try the flash or increase the iso to 400.

Take care and don't give up. You are probably the youngest member on this forum and I am probably the oldest, so it evens out.
i dislike manual contols and i had ISO 800 and i was using 1cm macro setting!

05-28-2011, 02:55 AM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep at it zeebee. With practice you'll learn what settings work for each situation. In macro settings, generally you'll need more depth of field, meaning you'll need to set the aperture to a larger number to get more of the subject in focus.