Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hay bales in a field (which do you prefer?)
Lens: DA 35mm/f2.4 Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Orange, VA ISO: 100 
Posted By: loco, 06-04-2011, 06:27 AM

I got these photos yesterday and was pleased with how they turned out. The sky was lovely and brilliant.

They were all taken with the DA 35mm/f2.4 lens. First two were at f8 and the third was f14.

I would love your opinions on which photo you prefer. Thanks for looking.

Views: 1,400
06-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Number 2. The fence is distracting in the others.
06-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very bright and colourful, perhaps a touch overexposed, but pleasant contrast in colours and textures rendered. The DA 35 has worked its magic on this scene.
#2 is indeed the pick, though a little more foreground in the frame would have been better, getting closer to that one bale to the right of the frame, as it draws attention.
06-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
As Ash said, #2 is best, but a hair more foreground would improve the composition. I got the same lens a few months ago and find I'm using it quite a bit.

06-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the feedback. I re-cropped the original of #2 and wonder if this looks better to you guys.

Really appreciate the input!

06-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

crazy cat lady,

Very nice whimsical stuff. I like number 3 a lot. Its like this fence is trying to corral these huge rolls. But i;m thinking it might be fun to try a blockier aspect ratio like 8x10 instead of 2:3 to enable one to crop the empty space out of the right side of the picture, past the last roll. Either way i like the diagonal that is set up between the post head and the 2 large rolls.

I don't know if other people do it, but i'll often play with different aspect ratios until I find one that fits the picture. Lightroom and some other softtware i'm sure, makes it easy to try on new aspect ratios.
06-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
crazy cat lady,

Very nice whimsical stuff. I like number 3 a lot. Its like this fence is trying to corral these huge rolls. But i;m thinking it might be fun to try a blockier aspect ratio like 8x10 instead of 2:3 to enable one to crop the empty space out of the right side of the picture, past the last roll. Either way i like the diagonal that is set up between the post head and the 2 large rolls.

I don't know if other people do it, but i'll often play with different aspect ratios until I find one that fits the picture. Lightroom and some other softtware i'm sure, makes it easy to try on new aspect ratios.
Thank you, philbaum! How's this? You're right, Lightroom makes it very easy to mess around with different aspect ratios. I usually try to stick with the original aspect ration. Not sure why I am so hesitant to change it. But I think it does help this shot, and thank you for suggesting it.

Last edited by loco; 06-04-2011 at 02:20 PM.
06-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yep, thats a perfect crop. Looks great!

06-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Thank you, philbaum! How's this? You're right, Lightroom makes it very easy to mess around with different aspect ratios. I usually try to stick with the original aspect ration. Not sure why I am so hesitant to change it. But I think it does help this shot, and thank you for suggesting it.
Clone that contrail in the upper right away! Let it be gone! It is distracting to me at least.
06-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Yep, thats a perfect crop. Looks great!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Clone that contrail in the upper right away! Let it be gone! It is distracting to me at least.
I fixed it for you in the post above. You were right - I hadn't even noticed that darned distracting contrail!