Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Jessica
Lens: DA-70 Ltd Camera: K7 ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: eccs19, 06-04-2011, 10:06 AM

I just recently got this lens, and I'm also trying to get more into portrait work. I asked my friend at work if his daughter would be willing to do some modeling for me. We spent 1-2 hours doing a number of shots. This is one of my favorites from the shoot. I hope you like it. So far I'm VERY pleased with this DA-70 LTD.

Views: 1,676
06-04-2011, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

It's a good shot, sharp and well-composed; pretty model. It's a very typical senior pose (I suppose for a reason), but you've executed it quite nicely. I think your perspective is perfect here. To be nit-picky, I don't love the arrangement of her fingers under her chin, but she looks relaxed enough that it didn't grab my attention straight off.

On the processing, a few subtle things will help this:

1. The dark thing on her lip. If it's a scar or birthmark, of course, I'd leave it. But if it's a cold sore or something temporary, it would be easy to retouch.

2. The green/yellow tint from the grass could be removed. It's not bad, most non-photographers would never notice it, but I'd remove it.

3. Finally, our eyes tend to go to the brightest spot in an image, and I'd prefer that to be her face rather than her legs. You could burn in the legs, or dodge the face. I'd do a little bit of both.
06-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
It's a good shot, sharp and well-composed; pretty model. It's a very typical senior pose (I suppose for a reason), but you've executed it quite nicely. I think your perspective is perfect here. To be nit-picky, I don't love the arrangement of her fingers under her chin, but she looks relaxed enough that it didn't grab my attention straight off.

On the processing, a few subtle things will help this:

1. The dark thing on her lip. If it's a scar or birthmark, of course, I'd leave it. But if it's a cold sore or something temporary, it would be easy to retouch.

2. The green/yellow tint from the grass could be removed. It's not bad, most non-photographers would never notice it, but I'd remove it.

3. Finally, our eyes tend to go to the brightest spot in an image, and I'd prefer that to be her face rather than her legs. You could burn in the legs, or dodge the face. I'd do a little bit of both.
Thanks for the great input. The thing on her lip is a scar. She was attacked by a dog about a month ago. She wanted it left. Great tips for the grass and the burning / dodging. I'll have a look at that.
06-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Very nice portrait! I love it.

Todd posted some great tips above.

But i think this picture has personalty, a enthusiast/amateur photography with pro sprinkles on top
"Grey card corrected" or " WB correct" images can get boring after a while imho. We see them everywhere all the time, its the modern way today.

Personaly i like the warm and lush tones of the grass and the lighting, and how it reflects on her skin!

Those eyes draw the most attention, for me.

06-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nicely colored! Well, at least to my color-blind eyes...

Sent from my EVO 4G with CM7
06-05-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the comments. It's forums like this that make us amateurs / enthusiasts better.