Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Annas HBs - Part II
Posted By: SanMat, 06-04-2011, 12:18 PM

Both shot with K5, DA* 300mm, and Tamron 1.4x teleconverter. f/5.6, 1/1000 sec., ISO 1600

Attached Images

Views: 2,128
06-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #16
Pentaxian

OK, I now know that I do need a K5. Did you do any PP work on the noise or is the grain just that good Pete?

That first image is a splendid capture with the subtle variances on the plumage. That's why I love flat lighting on the subjects over anything else.

Marc

06-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi Marc,

Thanks for the kind words. I try to keep PP to a minimum. I've put the same shots (no PP) on my Flickr page (link attached), so you can compare. The only PP on those is just the cropping to try to match the original ones I posted. The first two shots on that Flickr page are the un-edited ones, the next two are the ones I posted here (with some noise reduction).

As far as my normal workflow, I use Dfine for noise reduction. For shots that lack some contrast I may bring up the blacks a bit in Lightroom. If the file can benefit from some sharpening I will do so. However, I've also noticed that when I apply the new DA* 300mm lens profile in Lightroom, the sharpness slider is adjusted upward to +25, so I don't go much beyond that, if at all. Sometimes I'll even drop it down a bit.

I would imagine that the K5 + your 250-600 would be awesome, considering the results you're getting with the K10d. You won't be disappointed.

Pete

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sanmat5204/

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
OK, I now know that I do need a K5. Did you do any PP work on the noise or is the grain just that good Pete?

That first image is a splendid capture with the subtle variances on the plumage. That's why I love flat lighting on the subjects over anything else.

Marc
06-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
I am just imagining DA* 300mm in my hands after seeing these photos, although it may rob my pocket some day :-) Please post more shots :-)