Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Ruby Throat Hummingbird images (perched)
Posted By: Marc Langille, 06-05-2011, 07:26 PM

I know a lot of folks love their latest and greatest equipment, but here are some images of my favorite subject in my garden.

Self Maintenance I:

Camera PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K10D
Exposure Time 0.004s (1/250)
Aperture f/5.6
ISO 320
Focal Length 600mm (900mm in 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 2368 x 1581

Self Maintenance II:

Camera PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K10D
Exposure Time 0.005s (1/200)
Aperture f/5.6
ISO 320
Focal Length 600mm (900mm in 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 2401 x 1606

Still using the K10D + FA* 250-600/5.6 for the shots. So can "old equipment" still make the grade?

Regards,
Marc
Views: 4,047
07-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Marc these are outstanding - as usual. The first one, with its focus on the bird's beak, simply fascinates me.

Jer
Thank you Jer!

QuoteOriginally posted by SanMat Quote
Great as always Marc. May favorite aspect is the reddish color coming through in the first one.
Thanks Pete!

Yes, it's always that "directional challenge" on the male Ruby Throat hummingbird that we often face...

Regards,
Marc

07-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by andre-mz5 Quote
This just shows that some "old glass" on an old body but in the hand of an (old?) master can still deliver breathaking pictures.
Yes, yes, no (not old) and much appreciated!!

QuoteOriginally posted by gibikote Quote
superb. Seeing a hummingbird perched...is almost like still life
Thank you very much - glad you enjoyed it.

Regards,
Marc
07-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Images are quality defined Marc. Beautiful

They're my favorites.We have eurasian tree sparrows here,
any attention to hummers draws those things in and it
can get ugly.Have to real careful about it,scared to death to try and photo.
07-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Marc,
Excellent shots as usual. You have a talent that alot of photographers do not have. You see what you want and know how to get the image. It makes me a little bit ill when I see others on another forum (one guy in particular) that have the funds for all kinds of long glass (sig. 500 f4.5--pentax 250-600 etc.) but still don't know how to get a decent image. Keep up the good work! Still haven't gotten any of that rain over here

07-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
Marc,
Excellent shots as usual. You have a talent that alot of photographers do not have. You see what you want and know how to get the image. It makes me a little bit ill when I see others on another forum (one guy in particular) that have the funds for all kinds of long glass (sig. 500 f4.5--pentax 250-600 etc.) but still don't know how to get a decent image. Keep up the good work! Still haven't gotten any of that rain over here
Thanks Ken for those kind words. I understand your comments very well. Sometimes people place more value on the equipment before everything else - just a general observation, not specific to an individual. I must admit though, the FA* 250-600/5.6 continues to impress me - it's incredibly sharp and versatile. Low light is a challenge with the K10D.

Many folks may not realize I spend a significant amount of time with visualizing placement of everything in the shot. It can reap huge rewards. This year I did a lot of groundwork to see if things needed to be changed, based on lighting, time of day, etc. That's before I even confirm what I think is possible or right before even looking through my setup. Of course, the subjects are not necessarily compliant!

BTW, I am sooo looking forward to buying a K-5: my imagination (fantasy?) is running wild!! I am really stoked about moving up the ISO/Frame rate/AF ladder.

Thanks again Ken.
07-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
You're becoming so predictable Marc ... superb yet again !

In response to your question above - I suppose it only matters to the viewer if the flash used is obvious and spoils the image because of that. I've seen some cracking HB shots that must have been taken with flash .... but it certainly wasn't obvious to my eye. No chance of flash spoiling your shots.

I guess you must have a lifetimes supply of free feeders too now ..... no ?
Thanks Frogfish and I understand what you mean - it's always a mixed bag to use flash in a natural environment when there are a lot of leaves/branches around.

Yes, I need to get a few more feeders as backup. I'm currently watching seven feeders with 32oz reservoirs be replaced every 1.5 days. It's crazy - I should do a video to demonstrate how many show up!

Regards,
Marc
09-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Always check out your posts Marc and you never disappoint.

Never seen a hummer preen themselves before as they never seem to land. Thanks for sharing.

Tom G
Thank you Tom - very much. I'll try to keep the momentum going until they've left for the season!

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Images are quality defined Marc. Beautiful

They're my favorites.We have eurasian tree sparrows here,
any attention to hummers draws those things in and it
can get ugly.Have to real careful about it,scared to death to try and photo.
I'm going to be posting a link to a video I did on Sept. 10th - I believe it does a good job to show the activity levels. It's most definitely an "air show".

Thank you for the kind words.

Marc