Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Historical garden and greenhouses
Lens: Sigma 8-16mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Aalsmeer, the Netherlands ISO: 400 
Posted By: newmikey, 06-08-2011, 09:55 AM

You make an educated guess what I did on my lunchbreak...

"Gardening museum "Historische Tuin Aalsmeer"

Aalsmeer. A name which is connected to flowers and plants (the worlds largest flower auction is located here). Flower growing in Aalsmeer did not happen overnight. The museum takes you back to the beginning of the 17th century. Back then, people specialized in growing fruit-bearing trees and in the space below those trees, strawberries. At the end of the 19th century growers in Aalsmeer switched to garden flower varieties and shortly thereafter on growing decoratives in greenhouses. The historical garden takes you back in time and shows you the history of Aalsmeer from the 1700's until ca. 1940 on a area totalling 13000 square meters.

The name "Historische Tuin" or Historical Garden points back to the fact that the growers of Aalsmeer used to call their greenhouse GARDEN.
"

Historische Tuin Aalsmeer ? Tuinbouwmuseum Historische Tuin Aalsmeer

The text over the doorway in the last shot? "Denkt aleer gij doende zijt en doende denkt dan nog" or:

"Think before you act and when acting, continue thinking more..."
Should apply to us photographers as well right?
Views: 1,118
06-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
love that sigma lens!! wonderful dof and perspectives... also crisp definition... thanks mike, now i've gotta have one !! dave m
06-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice series.I really like the tonal quality of the pics.--charliezap
06-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love that shot with the jacket. It's like the old gardener just stepped away for a cup of tea...