Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Portrait
Posted By: xandy, 11-10-2007, 10:20 PM

Picture is done with the lens marked as follow: Auto Formula 5 1:2.8 f=135mm 55(phi).
Please tell me how i did, thank you.

andy

Attached Images

Views: 2,148
11-11-2007, 04:17 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I like the look on her face,you capture the moment but it looks a bit out of focus,I am assuming that you were using manual focus?
11-11-2007, 05:50 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Sorry to say, it's nowhere near in focus. Good tight composition though.
11-11-2007, 06:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup same answer. You need to have enough DOF to get both eyes in focus for a decent portrait. And with such a tight shot they have to be crystal clear. Otherwise it just doesn't work. The light and crop of this shot are great, just work on the focus.

11-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you, focusing manually is going to be my problem as I'm a little visually impaired (astigmatism) and relying on green hexagon in viewfinder may not always work. Any suggestions
beside getting AF glass?
andy
11-11-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have 3 choices for focus.
1) Manually focus the lens with or without the green light to assist you.
2) Trap focus. Get Screw mount or K mount lenses (with no contacts) and turn the AF switch on. First set up your exposure settings for the scene then adjust the focus while you hold the shutter button down fully. Once the lens is in focus the shutter will fire automatically.
3) Auto Focus lenses. There are a few that may make sense for a reasonable price. The DA 18-55 and 50-200 will give you a wide range with good quality for about $250.00

I would think that if your vision is poor and you have a hard time seeing the viewfinder display that you would want the camera to work in auto settings much of the time. With an AF lens, you can have the camera meter and focus the scene and all you need to do is compose the scene and concentrate on the image you are trying to get. It would make things a lot easier and faster than all the manual settings.

Also you can wear your corrective glasses without much issue I would assume. I do as I am blind in the right eye and have to wear glasses for the left one. You can also get a magnifying attachments for the viewfinder if that would help to see the display settings.

So if you want to try trap focus it will work very well for almost any scene including fast action. It should work with the lens you used for this shot. Give it a try and if you need more advice post back.
11-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
and
Veteran Member

This looks like a little bit of motion blur too. For MF you can get a split prism focusing screen. For indoor portraits get an external flash, it can make the pictures look so much better its hard to believe its the same lens.