Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
TELEAR-N, Take TWO...
Lens: TELEAR-N Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Around the house ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: JohnBee, 06-13-2011, 06:24 PM

About a year ago, I purchased a Russian made 3.5/200mm TELEAR-N lens from eBay to add to my Russian lens collection.
However, after initial testing, I though the lens was somewhat bellow average and likely not worthy of adding into my MF collection.

And so, recently, while cleaning-out my drawers, I came across the lens again, and so decided I'd give it another try before getting rid of it.
And while I was cleaning-up the lens-up, I noticed the infamous Nikon mount protrusions on the aperture ring.
At which point I remembered that this lens(like many other Russian lenses) came in both Nikon and M42 mounts. However, the aperture ring protrusions remain even if the mount is changed, and though this doesn't "usually" pose a problem with clearance, I remembered thinking it was stopping the from sitting flush on the mount the last time I tested it on a K20D.

So... this time, I figured if I was going to give the lens a second try, that I might as well go all the way and just file the protrusions off.
And off it went! - And to my surprise, when I mounted a M42/K Mount adapter(flange type) on it, it sat right flush on the lens flange...
AND... it focused to infinity. Which isn't normal(I know) but hey... who's going to complain for a closer registration distance(piece of cake right?).

Afterward, I took the lens outside and figured I'd pit-it wide open, in direct sunlight to see how it would hold-up.
And so, here are the results:

Full scene(slight crop) aprox: 15' fr. subject:

Crop 1:

Crop 2:

Backlighting test:

Bokeh test:

Top-up shot:

Close Focus test(slight crop):

CF 100% Crop:

All images shot in RAW/DNG(w/Pentax K-5), Processed in Raw-Therapee r3.0B1.33, PS CS5

The lens in question:

The end...

Last edited by JohnBee; 06-13-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Views: 3,376
06-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
John, you found a treasure, beautiful quality photos, lucky you. I think I would hold on to this one. Bob
06-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First of all... I love the kids hair... The best shots that I have taken of my daughter is when her hair is all over the place.. The shots of the little one are great.. you have the bokeh in full effect.. That is a real nice lens.. Like Bob said it is a keeper...
« Vivid! | Sunset »