Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Downtown Vancouver: The Aftermath
Lens: Pentax FA 43, DA 15, D-FA 100WR Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Downtown Vancouver 
Posted By: jaieger, 06-16-2011, 10:38 PM

Many of you might have heard it by now. Last night, I sat down in front of the TV hoping to watch my hometown team win the Stanley Cup playoffs for the first time in history. It would've been the graduation gift of our lives. Instead, we lost to the Bruins in a respectable, hard-fought series. We did our best. But, instead of resuming regular life at 7:30pm, the news wouldn't let me go: the dreaded, expected riots had started. And I couldn't move from then till my sister kicked me off the TV at 11:30, enthralled by the destruction that was happening in my city, in disbelief that it was actually happening.

Horrified as I was then, the morning showed the face of the the Vancouver I knew: thousands of citizens taking to the streets and cleaning up after the actions of an unruly few, not 12 hours after the riots. I had a final this morning and had to study and then write it, so by the time I got there, much of the cleanup had already taken place. Not all, however, and this is what I saw...

Someone who'd gotten up ontop of the store forgot some shoes and a bag.

This mannequin was burned to a crisp.

One of thousands of well-wishers vowing to rebuild Vancouver and its image

12. "No, this isn't who we are"

14. "What's happened here?"

And thankyou for viewing (:
Views: 3,313
06-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few can ruin it for everyone. Was this worse than the 1994 Stanley Cup riot in Vancouver? Bob

Last edited by Bob Harris; 06-16-2011 at 11:09 PM.
06-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
A few can ruin it for everyone. Was this worse than the 1994 Stanley Cup riot in 1994 in Vancouver? Bob
I wouldn't know considering I was just under a year old at the time but from what I've heard, it was indeed simply due to the number of people there - more than double the '94 crowd. On the other hand, there were significantly fewer police, though they handled it admirably to the best of their abilities, I think.
06-17-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A few years back there was a riot here over a verdict in a murder case. The whole town just exploded in rage and people just went crazy. When it was all done there was major damage done. It was absolutely horrifying, but at least you somewhat understood "why" people felt they had to go there. Injustice was likely done and that was just not acceptable to many at the time.

But to riot over a sports loss? I'm sorry, no. I don't blame all the people in Vancouver. I've been in a couple of places now where people seemed inclined to riot just because whenever they could, Oakland for one. I know that kind of behavior isn't the vast majority of people, but to riot over something as dumb as losing a sports cup? Just because you are upset your team lost a big game? That is beyond silly.

I've got people in my family who paint their faces and go to football games dressed up in team colors. On Sunday's it's whatever sport is on, and nothing but that, on the TV at my folks. I grew up with it and I do get the whole sports fan mentality thing, but if someone I knew went that far? I think I'd throw the TV out of the house before I ever let them back into the house to watch it, seriously.

06-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Its an interesting subject. As pointed out in the VPD press conference, a lot of it was people unrelated to the sporting event and instead specifically looking for trouble.

The Vancouver effect - Canada - CBC News

Interesting comments in that link.. a close study of over 200 riots in the US as comparison shows that only this one and the '94 riots were about sports loses - seems south of the border they prefer rioting about team WINS (you've won... why trash the joint ? destruction in sorrow I can sort of fathom.. destruction in joy though ? meh.. go figure...). The link also elaborates on how in Europe it seems to be fans vs fans at the riots.. all in all some intriguing comparisons...

So don't rag too much on Vancouver... 2 riots out of 200 doesn't seem so bad...

Either way - I personally couldn't get that passionate about a sporting team.... so struggle with the concept from both sides of the fence.
06-17-2011, 03:26 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I visited Vancouver when I was in the Navy and it immediately became one of my favorite cities in the world! Clean, beautiful and amazingly nice people (and good beer...)! The riot really surprised me. Great pics showing a citizenry who aren't willing to simply moan about the fact that it happened!
06-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the comments, it's nice to know that not everyone immediately thinks Vancouver's an asylum of a city. We're really not! ^__^

06-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #8

I live in Nanaimo, and I too was sickened by the mass destruction.
But very heart-warming to see all the people pitching in to help clean it up.
And your pictures showing this.....WOW!
You are a fantastic photographer - I would LOVE to take pics like this.
VERY cool!
06-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

As a British Columbian, I was disgusted by the rioters and was really hoping the VPD had authority to let loose rubber bullets or the fire hoses to disperse the crowd faster. Most rioters seemed too young to remember the 94 riots.. but it's not like they hadn't heard of them. Would not have been hard to see what happened.
06-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I remember the LA Riots and the riots after a LA team wins the big game aka Lakers in 2000 and 2009. It takes a few knuckleheads to start these riots... But a city with citizens that care for it, will always bounce back from these events... I look forward to visiting Vancouver.

Great shots btw...
06-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I doubt this was even really about the loss .... just needs a spark for hooligans / thugs to have an excuse to kick off. I doubt real supporters would have been involved, just the trash. Great to see the way the real citizens rallied around.

Good shots.
06-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdave69 Quote
I live in Nanaimo, and I too was sickened by the mass destruction.
But very heart-warming to see all the people pitching in to help clean it up.
And your pictures showing this.....WOW!
You are a fantastic photographer - I would LOVE to take pics like this.
VERY cool!
Thanks bigdave, I'm flattered! (:

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
As a British Columbian, I was disgusted by the rioters and was really hoping the VPD had authority to let loose rubber bullets or the fire hoses to disperse the crowd faster. Most rioters seemed too young to remember the 94 riots.. but it's not like they hadn't heard of them. Would not have been hard to see what happened.
True, but I think that given the resources that they had on hand, the VPD did pretty damn well in handling the situation.

QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
I remember the LA Riots and the riots after a LA team wins the big game aka Lakers in 2000 and 2009. It takes a few knuckleheads to start these riots... But a city with citizens that care for it, will always bounce back from these events... I look forward to visiting Vancouver.

Great shots btw...
Thanks edward! I agree with your statements completely.

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I doubt this was even really about the loss .... just needs a spark for hooligans / thugs to have an excuse to kick off. I doubt real supporters would have been involved, just the trash. Great to see the way the real citizens rallied around.

Good shots.
Thanks frogfish! (:
06-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Thanks for sharing and showing that the riot was really an anomaly and this is really how proud Vancouverites are of our city!
06-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Thanks for sharing and showing that the riot was really an anomaly and this is really how proud Vancouverites are of our city!
Thanks for the comment! (: I agree, I was quite proud to wake up and hear about the thousands participating in the clean up.
06-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it's amazing what a few knuckle dragging dimwits can do... also the mob mentality which ensues.. we here in new england know (from the olympics coverage and other media commentaries) what a beautiful city vancouver is and how cordial it's folks are... you're always welcome here... (both in the forum, and if you should trek our way)...
nice shots of the aftermath and how you've banded together to effect repairs... dave m