View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 1,602
11-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

harsh, but you asked so here goes:

1. It is interesting subject and you have improved it with black and white; just about all black and whites should be warm toned, as this one nicely is. But you must really be aware of all elements in the picture: it's badly framed. Lose the car bottom right; the crossing wire coming in from right is lost in the flare, I would either restore it or lose it; the wire crossing the barn gable window is bothersome because it bisects an otherwise emotive picture element- a black window into nothingness - better picture framing in the camera viewfinder is required.

2. Tree, shovel. It's ok, boring subject to me but it can easily have appeal to different mindset. Probably, the infinite depth of field here doesn't help in that it distracts from the tree-shovel subject.

3. I like the colour composition; I lined up several shots of identical bush with these bright raspberry like fruits but decided picture wasn't worth it. Again, be aware of composition within picture frame: left upper and lower out of focus berries add nothing to the picture, unnecissarily complex, visual distraction. Crop them out, should leave you with simple linear colour composition.

4. Nice vista, boring shot. Reshoot on foggy day, rainstorm, sunset, etc.

5. No subject, was it a mistaken press of the shutter?
11-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only image that really grabbed my attention was the first one. It could be a winner if you would move in closer and get rid of all the extraneous surroundings that do not add to the story. There is definitely potential here and if you can, I would go back and reshoot or at least, crop and rework the image in Photoshop (or whatever).
11-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In all of these pics, you're including more information than you really need. I took the liberty of cropping down the picture of the plant with purple berries to show you what I mean.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-13-2007, 01:49 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'll take a stab at the 4th shot. I find it grossly under exposed and that makes it dull and hard to appreciate.

Using Photoshop CS2 I increased the exposure by +2 and then adjusted highlights/shadows a bit. I took the liberty of cropping out a lot of the sky; there are no real unique qualities to it so don't exploit it. Also, you have a dust spec or smudge on your sensor, I cloned it out. Finally, I sharpened it a bit.

I posted my version and then had second thoughts. I think I have a good eye for spotting less than perfect horizons and this picture was 1 degree off. I turned it that 1 silly degree and reposted. Not a lot, I know, but it does make a difference.

I would really be attracted to this if there were a boat on the water or a tractor in the field; just something to draw me into the picture.

Last edited by J.Scott; 11-23-2007 at 05:13 AM.