Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Storm photography is quickly becoming one of my favorite things ever. :)
Camera: k-x Photo Location: Athens, GA ISO: 100 
Posted By: kardinal, 06-19-2011, 12:29 AM

So Georgia's been getting late afternoon thunderstorms essentially every day this week, which has lead to me spending a lot of time in the parking deck on campus chasing lightning across the sky with my k-x. Here are a couple I've gotten so far, plus some shots today of what really appeared to be a tornado forming across the street from my house.

Taking these next two was pretty intense actually, because lightning was hitting all around me. I finally was forced to go inside when some kind of spider webbed across the sky directly above where I was standing. I'm pretty sure there was some pre-tornado activity going on in these as those clouds were swirling insanely fast and were damn near touching the ground.

So to restate the title of the thread: Storm photography is quickly becoming one of my favorite things ever.
Views: 1,789
06-19-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do hope you stay safe in those situations Kardinal.Some nice work on series
Lightning and storms are such a contradiction, the "beauty and the beast" if you will.
06-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #3

Fantastic serie. Love it
06-19-2011, 05:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great captures... almost can feel the static electricity in the air... and the rumble of thunder... you're becoming quite the 'storm chaser'.... dave m

06-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

WOW!! amazing shots be careful
06-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Wow great series. You can certainly feel the intensity, and I like the colours on all of them. To give me a better appreciation of distance/scale: what lens were you using?
06-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the kind words! And I try to be as careful as possible, although you know what they say, the greater the risk, the greater the reward

QuoteOriginally posted by jurysi Quote
Wow great series. You can certainly feel the intensity, and I like the colours on all of them. To give me a better appreciation of distance/scale: what lens were you using?
1, 2 and 4 were taken with my kit lens. 1 is at 18mm, but cropped a bit. 2 and 4 are full size at 18mm. 3 was taken with my tamron 28-300 around 100mm or so.