Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Whats the point of interest?
Posted By: Bramela, 11-14-2007, 01:14 PM

A quick shot I caught during a morning walk. Quality is only fair due to the fact I had about I second to click the shot without time for any adjustment.
Rather pleased considering the circumstances.
K10d, Sigma 17-70

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 1,554
11-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
To tell you the truth, I think the quality or as I see it the graininess of the picture really works for it. The only thing that bothers me with the shot is the hill in front. I'd crop out some of it so that your eyes aren't drawn away from the subject (the person and dog). Plus it will give the hill a more dramatic slope. That my opinion I am far from an expert though.

Not much of a difference and maybe you disagree but this pleases my eyes a little bit more than the original.

Tom
11-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Tom, your comments are most welcome. I had looked at cropping but felt that it actually brought the dog too close to the bottom border of the shot. I do like your version, I better think again perhaps.
Thanks again.
11-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #4

I would probably have been a bit harsher with the crop to get rid of more of the dark and uninteresting foreground. I really like the position of both person and dog and it makes me wonderwhat had caught the interest of both of them. Well done.

11-14-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I like this one Bruce. I think it is fine as it was taken or you could have a little fun with it in Photoshop. I cropped out most of the hill and darkened it and the figures. I brightened up the blue in the sky and then added some noise. I hope you don't mind me experimenting with your picture. :ugh:

Last edited by J.Scott; 11-23-2007 at 05:13 AM.
11-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions, good ones at that. I will have to do some more PP myself in future.
Funny though, I suppose it is down to the taste, I didnt mind it as in the first shot.
However, all your suggestions make me think again. I do like the improved images.
Old saying.. 2 minds are better than one!

Thanks again all!
11-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff, I downloaded your copy. Hope you dont mind either.

11-14-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Bruce,

I do like this photo, but I wanted to point something out that might help with the crop factor a little.

The person standing isn't straight up and down, so you could easily rotate it 1 or 2 degrees until they are.
This would allow you to crop a little more from under them and a little less from under the dog.

It isn't much, but it might help with the effect
11-15-2007, 05:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I like the original image just fine the way it is. But since others have had a go at working on it, I thought I would take a few minutes and see what I could come up with. And I don't necessarily offer these as improvements over the original:

11-15-2007, 05:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

hey there,..
i personally think the original image is the most succesful,and i dont see the need to crop it. however i also like the orange filtered one that u did,. either way... nice photo mate

kev
11-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am wondering if any photo posted here has so much work done on it. So many variations.
No problem, it gives me so many differient thoughts on what is the most acceptable.
Thanks for all the input. I must say, in the beginning I just saw a shot that was just a quick opportunity.
Shows what can be done with a bit of thought and artistic licence.
Thanks again all for the positive thoughts and comments.

(Yes Stu, will straighten that a little.)
11-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That very stark contrast between foreground and background very readily lends itself to lots of variations, as it makes it extremely easy to make layer masks, which can be used to work on both the foreground and background in isolation from each other. Plus with such strong silhouettes there is no concern over making some changes that ruin fine detail, so it was a very inviting and fun image to experiment with.