Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Flowers
Lens: 18-55 kit lens Camera: Pentax K-X Photo Location: My back garden! ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/4000s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: joshfishkins, 06-24-2011, 03:14 AM

Got my camera yesterday and started snapping. This photo represents my favourite of the ones I took. Any thoughts or suggestions for improvement gratefully received, but go easy as this was pretty much my first go with a SLR.

Attached Images

Views: 1,268
06-24-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely colors, Josh. In such strong sunlight with the flowers like this, you might want to try underexposing a bit to tone down the highlights a tad. Enjoy your new camera!
06-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Lovely colors, Josh. In such strong sunlight with the flowers like this, you might want to try underexposing a bit to tone down the highlights a tad. Enjoy your new camera!
Cheers. How do I underexpose? Is that the EV setting?
06-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joshfishkins Quote
Cheers. How do I underexpose? Is that the EV setting?
Yes. Check your camera manual to see how to set the EV value. With that scene, I'd have started shooting with the EV set to -0.5, and then would check the picture. If it seemed too bright, I'd then shoot at -1.0. Of course, I use a different camera, the K200D, which might interpret the scene differently.

06-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great colors!

I'm a newbie myself but in bright days like that I would use lowest ISO possible and with the Kit lens use an aperture around f8-f11.

Try this - AV mode on the dial, set the aperture at f8 put ISO on auto (shutter speed will default to auto) and see how it compares.

If the intent is the blurry background then leave f stop wide open at 3.5.