Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Traditional Swedish folk costumes
Lens: 77, 31 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Sweden 
Posted By: the swede, 06-25-2011, 04:55 AM

Heres my wife in a folk costume, it is a borowed outfit and is work related.

She was to play a mother in a 1800 century authentic house, and its part of a guided tour for tourists. There were kids and stuff playing roles, waking up, eating, going to school. But these photos are from after the tour.

Views: 2,733
06-25-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
there will be another set posted here soon, with her own costume
06-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
beautiful clothing and photographs. thanks Bob
06-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh wow... these are really special photos. I love them all... the one with her back to the camera evokes emotion for some reason. The first shot is incredible too. Great job! thanks for posting!! (and your wife is beautiful!)

06-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Nice!
06-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great use of nature light Swede. JIM
06-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments!

06-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Were 18th c homes so sparsely decorated? I have wondered about 18th c homes here as well.

I know furniture must have been quite expensive but wouldn't wall hangings, rugs etc have helped with warmth and comfort?

It doesn't seem right that personal dress would be so nice and furnishings be so drab.

(This has nothing to do with your excellent photos that are helped by the austerity of the setting.)
06-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful work. I think the B&W conversion works very well too!
06-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #10

superb!
06-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #11

Great photos. My favorite is the second one where she's looking out the window.
06-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Were 18th c homes so sparsely decorated? I have wondered about 18th c homes here as well.

I know furniture must have been quite expensive but wouldn't wall hangings, rugs etc have helped with warmth and comfort?

It doesn't seem right that personal dress would be so nice and furnishings be so drab.

(This has nothing to do with your excellent photos that are helped by the austerity of the setting.)
Probably not, i think there were alot of stuff in these quite small houses, as you can see from the pictures this is the kitchen AND bedroom. Seen in the first picture, and the pictures below here. The beds are behind the red squared drapes.

This was the only room in the house kept warm during winters. The other two rooms in the house were never used other than for storage and special events. The "lack" of things is mainly because its such a small place and tourists are alowed to go inside. All small things and other more valuable stuff is hence placed in a museum

Regarding the dresses they are quite uniqe and always different from area to area in this part of sweden. Add to that, they had different parts and looks to the dresses depending on event or day. Weeding, funeral, party, married or not (white hat with lace or no lace), ordinary day to day dress. A complete dress with all parts, for different events, that a mature woman owned and could afford would consist (depending on area) of over 20 parts. The dresses were a part of a whole life and were collected, bought and made over an extensive period of time in a womans life.

This dress in these pictures are the "base" dress, with some of the outer parts are special events parts: the scarf, apron and bag.

Last edited by the swede; 06-26-2011 at 01:00 AM.
06-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The costumes and dresses divided in areas (pairs)
06-26-2011, 02:40 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote

Probably not, i think there were alot of stuff in these quite small houses, as you can see from the pictures this is the kitchen AND bedroom. Seen in the first picture, and the pictures below here. The beds are behind the red squared drapes.

This dress in these pictures are the "base" dress, with some of the outer parts are special events parts: the scarf, apron and bag.
Thanks for the story and photos. Their local styles were more sophisticated and complex than today's international styles I'd say! Not so much jeans and tee shirts!

I'm not aware of sleeping compartments in our older homes (but I don't know much about such things); I know many homes here had sleeping lofts above in the rafters; but that doesn't seem as cozy as the berths you show.
07-03-2011, 03:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

This is a really nice set of photos and I love the first one.

Its nice to see things about old living, I tend to wonder what it would be like to go back in time when I see alot of old places.