Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Walk in the Woods
Posted By: sajmmiller, 11-16-2007, 10:00 AM

Took a stroll with my new Tamron 70-300 LD Di yesterday afternoon and caught a little bit of wildlife. The photos are not technically great, but hopefully worth sharing.

This doe was pretty well hidden. Autofocus was very confused by all the brush, so I used manual. Shot at 300mm and cropped about 50%.

The next one just cracked me up. She had her fill of me and decided to exit left by doing a front hoof stand, showing me her backside in the process.

Due to low light and very shallow depth of field, I had a difficult time with the spider. This was the best of several. I thought it interesting, because I've never seen this type of spider before. He was about the size of a quarter.

May go back out this afternoon to see if I can improve on these. Thanks for looking.

Scott
Views: 1,658
11-16-2007, 11:15 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Great shots! ...and I have never been 'mooned' by a deer either!
11-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Great shots! ...and I have never been 'mooned' by a deer either!
Thanks Jeff! Glad you got a kick out of it too. I had better luck shooting some deer this afternoon. Hopefully, I'll get a few PP'd and posted tomorrow.

Scott
11-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Really great shots. I really like this lens. Almost got one and then I changed my mind and got a Sigma 135-400 instead. I like the extra 100mm, but that spider picture makes a strong statement about the macro capabilities of that lens!! Nice shooting!

11-16-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very nicely timed shots mate. i love the 2nd shot!! but... the spider.....eewwwww.. man, i hate spiders! (but awesome macro)! ps-- dont you just love it when auto focus has a hissy fit.. try focusing in on water at night! haha
11-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dkittle Quote
Really great shots. I really like this lens. Almost got one and then I changed my mind and got a Sigma 135-400 instead. I like the extra 100mm, but that spider picture makes a strong statement about the macro capabilities of that lens!! Nice shooting!
I bet that Sigma 135-400 is a nice lens. The extra 100mm would come in handy. I do like the Macro feature on the Tamron, but it's going to take some practice to learn how to use it to it's fullest potential.

Thanks for commenting.
11-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
very nicely timed shots mate. i love the 2nd shot!! but... the spider.....eewwwww.. man, i hate spiders! (but awesome macro)! ps-- dont you just love it when auto focus has a hissy fit.. try focusing in on water at night! haha
I appreciate the feedback! I'm not a big spider fan either, but the day-glow orange on this one really caught my attention.

Scott

11-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hopefully I learned something and did a little better the next day. Here's the link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/15030-walk-woods-day-2-a.html

Scott