Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Yeatzee's macros and a "short" tale of today
Lens: El-nikkor 50mm F/2.8 
Posted By: yeatzee, 06-29-2011, 11:06 PM

First the images

3 and 7 image stacks respectably. Garbage shots really Im quite disappointed in myself :ugh:

Well these pictures need a little back story to give you guys an idea of the day i've had

First and foremost Im staying with family in Utah for two weeks, all of which are rich with large homes and beautiful backyards perfect for bug hunting. I decided to bring just the necessities incase I found something worth shooting. That meant that the crappy lumiquest softbox, el-nikkor 50mm F/2.8, some tubes, and my metz + L bracket where shoved into my Pelican case as a carry on for the flight (among my K 50mm F/1.2, K-7 + grip, and my favorite other primes) I took some shots a couple days ago in my cousins backyard to illustrate some things to my aunt, the images worth posting are:

I was eager to get some more macro's as I hadn't taken field shots in months. I wanted some dang focus stacks though! Thus I went out today in search of some interesting insects. It wasn't 5 minutes before I found a female jumper on the side of the house. I quickly caught it and carried on, to be shot later. I searched and found some other stuff not worth mentioning. Than I found the exact same species of jumper on another side of the house, but this time a male! I was delighted so I attempted to catch him. In the process it got squished Pissed beyond belief that I managed to kill my first long-jawed jumper AND the male of a species I had a female for I continued on. Immediately after my luck turned and I found that beautiful damselfly! The first I've ever seen in person since getting my camera a couple years ago! I was able to setup and got just a couple images, no more than 10 as It was WAY to windy. I quickly caught it as well so i could view the insect up close and personal with my own eyes. I brought it inside and I attempted to crack open the container to get a good view. Stupid me did it much to violently and the dang thing flew out in the house. I've searched for an hour and have yet to find it :ugh: So anyways I went outside in search of more creatures. I caught a long-legged fly, a beautiful wasp-mimic hoverfly, and some spiders. Than I found ANOTHER male jumper. I couldn't believe my luck, also an adult! I successfully caught him and I thought I was good to go. One more look outside and i discovered another female of the same species so now I had two females and one male I brought the smaller female out and got the picture process going. A few shots into it I accidently squished the dang female! (after getting the 7 image stack above) I got an idea though to salvage the situation and tossed her corpse into the males container. Sure enough he did a full on dance routine and attempted to mate with her, until he realized she was dead of course. He did this twice in a row (really?) so i decided to try and get images of it. I set my bait (the female) on a leaf and let him loose next to her. I tried to keep him from jumping off the leaf and sure enough i killed him! WTF is wrong with me today! So now i've killed three jumpers, got no pictures of the beautiful long-jawed males, and let a damselfly loose in my grandparents house The remaining female is not being touched until i feel like I am capable of handling it! Anyways thats my story for today, to go along with the images. I doubt anyone will read it fully but I thought what the heck
Views: 1,451
06-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hi Yeatzee,

I'm sure I won't be the only one to say that I am simply in awe of the magical photos you take! I follow you both here and over on flickr and can't believe both the volume and quality of just about everything you post up.

I know it's a bit to ask, but I'd love to see some setup shots for your insect photos (obviously with another camera) or even a step by step tutorial from "studio" setup to post-processing to final image, etc.

Honestly, I'd also be pretty keen for a tutorial for the shots you took of your car. 17 image panorama at f/1.2??? I'd be awesome to see what you shot originally and how it all came together.

Don't let one bad day (ha, I'd kill to be able to shoot photos like above on my best day!) get you down... gotta have the lows to know how high the highs are.

Cheers,
Joe
06-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Fully agree! Making such good pictures on a 'off' day says something.

I've been trying macro focus stacking myself and it's lots of fun to do.
06-30-2011, 03:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Really nice shot of a damselfly!
I have also tried focus stacking couple of times this summer but I think that's not really my thing.

06-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JoeGray Quote
Hi Yeatzee,

I'm sure I won't be the only one to say that I am simply in awe of the magical photos you take! I follow you both here and over on flickr and can't believe both the volume and quality of just about everything you post up.

I know it's a bit to ask, but I'd love to see some setup shots for your insect photos (obviously with another camera) or even a step by step tutorial from "studio" setup to post-processing to final image, etc.

Honestly, I'd also be pretty keen for a tutorial for the shots you took of your car. 17 image panorama at f/1.2??? I'd be awesome to see what you shot originally and how it all came together.

Don't let one bad day (ha, I'd kill to be able to shoot photos like above on my best day!) get you down... gotta have the lows to know how high the highs are.

Cheers,
Joe
Thanks Joe! I appreciate the encouragement and comment When I get back I'll definitely try my best to give you guys an idea of it all As for the truck shot its pretty easy. Set the focus on where you want, setup on a tripod, and start taking pictures in columns or rows until you get your desired result. Than batch edit the shots and throw them into a panorama program.... VERY easy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Fully agree! Making such good pictures on a 'off' day says something.

I've been trying macro focus stacking myself and it's lots of fun to do.
Thanks Clavius. Yes it is a very fun tool to have in ones arsenal.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrok Quote
Really nice shot of a damselfly!
I have also tried focus stacking couple of times this summer but I think that's not really my thing.
Thanks Nitrok! I really hope I can find another damselfly so I can get a better shot of their fascinating faces. A full stack of the head some day......
07-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent series of shots with vivid colour and absolute clarity! Really magic.
07-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Excellent series of shots with vivid colour and absolute clarity! Really magic.
Thanks
07-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
amazing stuff, especially the first one. how do you get a fly to pose?

07-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You're so good at making beautiful shots of ugly things . The first one is one of yours I did not see before today. It's amazing how you captured the details. Thanks for sharing with us as always.