Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Strange vertical lines on long exposure?
Lens: kit Camera: k10d ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: m3hxe, 07-02-2011, 03:26 AM

Hi do any of you know what the strange vertical lines are in a few places in the atteched image? I had shake reduction ON as well as noise reduction ON.This was my first attempt at a long (30s) exposure. What do I need to do to improve? There are street lights in the distance which may have caused the orange glow.

Cheers!
Views: 1,798
07-02-2011, 04:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're on a tripod, switch off SR - it can over-compensate when its got nothing to compensate for...

As for line... Hair on the lens ? or on sensor ?
07-02-2011, 05:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, this brings back memories... I had the same problem with my K10 about 5 years ago, and I wasn't the only one.
Are you using the latest firmware ? Because this banding was fixed by Pentax in a firmware released on January 2007.

Here's all you need to know in this post from back then: (hopefully it's ok to link to another forum here, dpreview) Different banding on K10 (seriously) [img] [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And here's the thread about the problem being fixed: Pentax fixed the long exposure banding!! [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
07-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The Line in the bottom left is my HF antenna,The lines im describing are vertical and run the full length of the picture.