Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Holga Meets Pentax...
Lens: Holga Camera: Pentax K20D Photo Location: Fredericksburg, VA ISO: 1600 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Duh_Vinci, 07-05-2011, 06:31 PM

Time have not been on my side for a while, but just for fun, I purchased the old toy, Holga 60mm f8 (yeah, more like F11). And took the $17 plastic for a walk in down town... So few street shots:

Regards,
D
Views: 1,915
07-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Really nice street work with that optically-horrible but character-filled glass. Nice film look, nice compositions and subjects, great eye.

(D, you were the main inspiration for me getting the Cosina 55 1.2 years ago, now you may cause me to get the Holga )

This especially - just really great:

07-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well done, I liked everything you did.
07-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
J, thank you, you are too kind! Indeed, this lens is hardly an optical marvel piece, but I think it certainly has it's "special" purpose, and I thoroughly enjoyed the experimenting with odd pieces

Les, thank you very much, glad you like these! Actually shot in Raw/B&W setting on K20D, minimum processing, mostly curves and toning at +7. Plastic "glass" does the rest...

J, I'm actually planning on buying one for Nikon as well, so I can mess around with the aperture of this lens and see how I can use it for tighter crops and narrower DOF... That way I can swap the physical "optic" piece from one to the other (held by one tiny screw)...

Few more from the streets of down town:

Regards,
D

07-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Few more from the streets of down town
Lol, great stuff! The lens definitely adds character, as jsherman said. It kind of reminds me of an acid trip. That shot of the lady letting loose on her man (I assume), and his look toward the camera like one of sad surrender is my favorite.
07-07-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
absolutely stunning series... I just loved the graininess, the characters, the framing and composition... the lighting... all of it... I am inspired!!!!!
07-07-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any chance you can post a picture of the lens? ... it just goes you show.. you can't digitally create a "true cheap lens" look anymore than you can digitally make a photo from an average lens look like one from a good lens. Real cheap cannot be duplicated. But it really stands out.

07-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for taking your time and your comments, it is appreciated indeed!

It is for the same reason, I tend to enjoy Lensbaby very much as well, with all it's Plastic optic options rather "unique" ability to create what I feel is right for the subject or the moment. And honestly speaking, regarding the photoshop, I know it's powerful tool, but I just don't have enough patience to even attempt to duplicate the inherited quality/traits of such lenses as Holga or Lensbaby.

Norm,

Here is the "Plastic Beauty"

And a "very sophisticated" process of just simply sliding 52-62mm adapter directly onto the barrel of the lens (which has no thread on it's own), allows to mount filters, CPL in this case, which I find very useful in many occasions:

Now, the $10 wide x0.5 adapter arrives tomorrow, want to explore the landscapes this weekend...

Regards,
D