Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lake Claire
Posted By: JahJahwarrior, 11-18-2007, 06:14 PM

A lovely young lady (I feel odd saying that. I'm 7 days older than her.) accompanied me to the lake on campus this morning. I want feedback on these photos. I want to hear what I should do differently, what I did well....but she claims the first thought anyone will think is "what a good photographer!" and I think the first thought will be "What a beautiful model!" So I would like to know what your first thought was.
*ist Ds
shot using a flash on most of them, it was early morning and the sky was bright but we weren't, yet.
cloned out hot pixels, fixed any rotational problems, to get the shore to be horizontal.
on any B/W shots, I desaturated, bumped up contrast, and adjusted colour balanced a little to magenta, yellow and red.
Lenses used were a 50mm and 28mm, before the crop factor. shot wide up, 2 and 2.8. shutter speed got faster as the sun came up more, and I tried to stick to ISO 200 or 400.

Link to larger versions

Thank you!!
Views: 1,345
11-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey, my "would be alma matta" UCF really means U Can't Finish.
11-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I like #2 the best of the bunch and think it needs a little more ump. Maybe more contrast or a touch of levels. I like #1 but think it well she is underexposed. Maybe some dodgeing could help that one. just my thoughts.
11-18-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, I've got a long way to go, I'm only a freshman...

Ok, thanks for the ideas! #1 is underexposed, I was really thrown off by the lighting, I didn't anticipate using my flash at all. So I was using it, but was working to figure out exposure time and how to aim the flash, and she kept moving just enough to blur the image, and that one was decent, so even though she's underexposed, it was one of the better ones. I'll take a look at the colour version and see what I can do.

I'll also see what I can do with #2, I agree, it is lacking something. I'll go back to the colour version and mess around with levels.

11-18-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Alright, slightly different versions of #1 and #2. #1 I just brightened a little. #2 I changed the contrast and colour balance. The last picture is the reflection of trees and clouds inthe water. Image is turned upside down so you don't notice at first that it's a reflection...

11-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I love the pose in the first shot and after you tweaked it, I would have to say it is my favorite of the series. The other shot I like a great deal is the third one. You managed to capture her in a very relaxed and unposed expression. The second one, in my opinion, is too close to the frame on the left side. I would have liked to see a bit more room there. She's looking "out" of the picture so I would have preferred the room that is on the right side to be on the left. Just a personal preference.
11-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments! I agree about the composition of the looking-to-the-left shot, I shot it very spur of the moment, I wasn't expecting her to do that and when she did, I liked the pose and had to act fast. I almost like the odd composition, but now that you mentioned it, it's gonna bug me to no end.

I've got lots more of these, these are some of the better ones, the ones I liked most, alot of them are a little blurry, not good photos technically speaking, but they show a good side of her that I like, I just wouldn't put them on the internet for critique thanks for the comments guys!!
11-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #8

Nice shots, im a sophmore at ucf what camera are you using?