Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Palo Alto Concours D'elegance - The Brits [10 IMG]
Lens: DA 15 and 40 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Stanford Campus, Palo Alto, CA ISO: 80 
Posted By: Sailor, 07-08-2011, 05:17 PM

I love British sports cars from the '50s and '60s. We owned a '58 Morris Minor convertible (bought new) - hardly a sports car, but it initiated my interest in other BMC products, like the MGA. Later, my cousin's family bought an Austin Healey 3000 just after I got my driver's license in '63 - I still remember the "snick" of the shifter and the smell of the leather. Later, when I was a grad student, I wanted an MGB so badly I could taste it, but reality intervened and I ended up buying something more usable. Here are some shots of some of the wonderful British cars - full of personality and character - that punctuated my burgeoning fascination with the automobile.

Jer

Jag XK-120 Roadster and XK-140 coupe:

MG TF:

Late '50s MGA:

The Big Healey:

Last edited by Sailor; 07-08-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Views: 1,846
07-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those are great. I got to ride in a 120 or something very similar driven by my friend's mom as a kid. I fell in love with the Jag. My friend's mom also had a 64 Lincoln Continental Hardtop Convertible with a plague on the dash "Made for ........". As well as a small black and white tv!. Boy I was impressed her tastes. What do I drive? A SUV. ha. anyway thanks for memory lane!
07-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots. Well done. I like the spark of sunshine on most photographs. Very professional.

Thank you for sharing.
07-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Great shots of some of my favorite vehicles. The first Jag......almost got me killed...but my friend came even closer. Snuck it out one night when his parents were out of town.....came down and picked me up...too fast and too inexperienced a 14 year old driver......got home safe barely. Of course his dad found out, he knew if anyone even looked at it. My friend didn't see outside his room for six months.....the first three, being summer break, the rumor was his dad murdered him. We speculated where he dumped the body....and I worried his dad would come after me too....I did get to drive it for about a mile.....what a vehicle...I can still hear that sound...like magic music!

Thanks & Best Regards! The Red MG....got a story there too, but not as interesting.....what a fun car that was! Turned down a date with the prettiest blond cheerleader in school just to ride in it with my buddy on a Friday night....... no regrets!

07-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jer, your right, the 50-60's Euro cars had a certain form and beauty to them and I always enjoy taking a peak at them, especially the roadsters. The only European car I owned was a 87 Jaguar XJ -12 which was a bit pricey and beautiful, but was in the shop more than we drove it. We finally got tired of it and traded it in for a new 90 Vette, which was much more dependable. Bob
07-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Very nice series Jer.Memory lane never gets old.---capn zap
07-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great shots of truly classical cars. Beautiful - but you might want to consider to photoshop them to the one and only acceptable color: British Racing Green!!!
Thanks for posting.

07-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #8

Nice British oldtimers and high quality of photos...
07-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
Those are great. I got to ride in a 120 or something very similar driven by my friend's mom as a kid. I fell in love with the Jag. My friend's mom also had a 64 Lincoln Continental Hardtop Convertible with a plague on the dash "Made for ........". As well as a small black and white tv!. Boy I was impressed her tastes. What do I drive? A SUV. ha. anyway thanks for memory lane!
Thanks so much. I remember riding in a Continental Convert (my Dad's best friend owned the Mercury dealership) - quite a ride!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Nice shots. Well done. I like the spark of sunshine on most photographs. Very professional.

Thank you for sharing.
I appreciate the kind words. As much as I hate to admit it, the "spark" seems to be a characteristic of a DA 15 - you almost can't make it not produce the effect.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Great shots of some of my favorite vehicles. The first Jag......almost got me killed...but my friend came even closer. Snuck it out one night when his parents were out of town.....came down and picked me up...too fast and too inexperienced a 14 year old driver......got home safe barely. Of course his dad found out, he knew if anyone even looked at it. My friend didn't see outside his room for six months.....the first three, being summer break, the rumor was his dad murdered him. We speculated where he dumped the body....and I worried his dad would come after me too....I did get to drive it for about a mile.....what a vehicle...I can still hear that sound...like magic music!

Thanks & Best Regards! The Red MG....got a story there too, but not as interesting.....what a fun car that was! Turned down a date with the prettiest blond cheerleader in school just to ride in it with my buddy on a Friday night....... no regrets!
Buddy, I hear you and thanks. In the aforementioned Morris Minor, when I was 15 I allowed a girl (with whom I was smitten for a day or two) to drive - neither of us had driver's licenses. She promptly ran it into a ditch and punched a hole in my front upper lip - not a good deal for a sax player. But . . . like the young and dumb . . . I recovered quickly, was blowin' again within days, and finding other stupid stuff to do.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Jer, your right, the 50-60's Euro cars had a certain form and beauty to them and I always enjoy taking a peak at them, especially the roadsters. The only European car I owned was a 87 Jaguar XJ -12 which was a bit pricey and beautiful, but was in the shop more than we drove it. We finally got tired of it and traded it in for a new 90 Vette, which was much more dependable. Bob
Yup - I don't think Jags were ever known for dependability, but they were gorgeous.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 07-09-2011 at 05:24 PM.
07-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Very nice series Jer.Memory lane never gets old.---capn zap
You said it, Capn. And thanks much, my friend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Great shots of truly classical cars. Beautiful - but you might want to consider to photoshop them to the one and only acceptable color: British Racing Green!!!
Thanks for posting.
I sure appreciate the nice words. You know, I saw some "racing green" on one of the Sunbeam Tigers. I didn't photograph it, unfortunately, but I'll be posting pics of some of those little devils in the next installment of this series.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by coa75 Quote
Nice British oldtimers and high quality of photos...
Thanks very much.

Jer
07-11-2011, 05:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

love these vintage beauties from across the pond.... done a great job capturing these jer... dave m
07-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Dave, you're always so kind - thanks for the nice words.

Jer