Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Palo Alto Concours D'elegance - Tigers! [7 IMG]
Lens: DA 15 and 40 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Stanford Campus, Palo Alto, CA ISO: 80 
Posted By: Sailor, 07-10-2011, 05:30 PM

About the time I became a Junior during my undergrad days (around '66), my interest in European cars began to grow seriously, and I coveted a Sunbeam Tiger even though I'd never laid eyes on one. As it happened, a group of California Tiger owners participated in the Palo Alto Concours; consequently, I was able to view about 20 of the little devils that were on display - most in pristine condition. The appeal of the car was its Ford Windsor V-8 (260 and later, the 289) which elevated it to sort of poor man's Cobra. I was delighted to walk among so many examples of a car I've only seen a couple of times in my life.

Jer

Views: 1,792
07-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Jer that if someone opened up your head that they would find at least a 4 barrel secreted in there somewhere.Nice shots.--capn zap
07-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Wow, it's been a long time since I have seen any of those. I appreciate you posting them. I was once into fast cars...wild women too...tall blonds were my weakness.....One night Mrs Rupert's pistola misfired, which saved my life.....I got over fast cars and blonds too. It was one of those "teachable moments" and I learned fast and hard....

Got into fast bikes.....lots of fun and rode for years.....now I just sit around and daydream, shoot a few Squirrels and a few models....life is good! Your passion is refreshing.....I like to see that, it will keep you going and make life interesting.
Best Regards!
07-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Jer, it has been years since I have seen one. If Shelby had one, he would drop a 427 into it, beef up the suspension and hold on. Actually these probably road the track pretty well as is. Bob

07-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent shots, love the clarity and colour and of course those classic sports cars.
07-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

love going to these car days,reminds me of a All Ford Day coming up soon TFS Jer

cheers
07-11-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

loved theses 'beams since james bond drove one in 'dr. no'..... what a great venue you attended jer.... dave m

07-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I think Jer that if someone opened up your head that they would find at least a 4 barrel secreted in there somewhere.Nice shots.--capn zap
Capn, my wife says you'd find only an empty void. Thanks, my friend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Wow, it's been a long time since I have seen any of those. I appreciate you posting them. I was once into fast cars...wild women too...tall blonds were my weakness.....One night Mrs Rupert's pistola misfired, which saved my life.....I got over fast cars and blonds too. It was one of those "teachable moments" and I learned fast and hard....

Got into fast bikes.....lots of fun and rode for years.....now I just sit around and daydream, shoot a few Squirrels and a few models....life is good! Your passion is refreshing.....I like to see that, it will keep you going and make life interesting.
Best Regards!
My problem is too many "passions" like sailing and photography, which tend to badger the old checkbook. It's a good thing I love reading - that's cheap 'cause I use the library.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Hey Jer, it has been years since I have seen one. If Shelby had one, he would drop a 427 into it, beef up the suspension and hold on. Actually these probably road the track pretty well as is. Bob
You know Bob, before initiating this thread, I "googled" around and learned that Shelby actually built the prototype at Sunbeam's request. The Concours program lists a prototype, which may be the black one pictured. The sad fact is that I don't know - my time at this gig was far too limited; I needed about 5 hours rather than the 2 plus change I had.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Excellent shots, love the clarity and colour and of course those classic sports cars.
I appreciate the kind words, EM.

Jer
07-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
love going to these car days,reminds me of a All Ford Day coming up soon TFS Jer

cheers
Hey, Ivan - thanks for looking. I hope you post some pics from All Ford Day.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
loved theses 'beams since james bond drove one in 'dr. no'..... what a great venue you attended jer.... dave m
By golly, Dave - I'd forgotten that! Me - an ardent Bond fan . It was - without doubt - the most fascinating auto show I've seen.

Jer