Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
First post from a kayak shoot...a Greenie
Lens: da55-300 Camera: k20d Photo Location: kayak in lynnhaven river ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: imtheguy, 07-11-2011, 01:01 PM

Changing my way of going after marsh birds to the direct approach; bought a kayak and now go visit them where they live instead of waiting for a fly-by. First day out saw bald eagle, red-tailed hawk, ospreys, egrets and 3 kinds of herons. Of course I was generally unable to get decent shots of most. Any kayakers out there want to provide tips on how to use gear....I am all ears. Thanks.

Was hoping this greenie would pop the mohawk for me but maybe next time.

Views: 1,695
07-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OMG---- What an awesome image....

Keep that K20D - dry... (Not brave enough for the DA300mm yet)?
07-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! Really impressed. Heading up to Toronto for kayak lessons in a couple of weeks and do wonder how you keep your camera dry?
07-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Wow! Really impressed. Heading up to Toronto for kayak lessons in a couple of weeks and do wonder how you keep your camera dry?
So far I just leave it on the neck strap and a hand towel over it when paddling. I tried going out with just my old dslr-like panasonic FZ30 but there is too much good stuff to not have better gear with you. Had my lessons already in my lazi-boy....watched about 25 Youtube videos.

Chuck you are correct, not brave enough to take the da*300 yet but also do not want to change lenses so the 55-300 gives some flexibility there. When the k-5 returns I will try keeping both cams on board in dry bags; the k-5 with da*300 and the k20d with the WR da18-135. The boat is rated for 500 lbs so maybe the a*400 would fit (kidding of course).

07-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, I must echo jva59! For a hand-held shot from a one-man kayak, that is one sharp image!
Very well done. Enjoy that Kayak.
07-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #6

Very Nice, Very Sharp, Lee

I've been out twice with a friend of mine who has a tandum kayak and found it very hard to get a steady shot. I was thinking about not trying any more but your picture has made me want to give it another chance.

Rob
07-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great work getting that shot !! the clarity and color, superb !! always wondered if they made kayaks with an 'attachable' outrigger... to balance the craft... hmmm... patent idea??
dave m

07-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
great work getting that shot !! the clarity and color, superb !! always wondered if they made kayaks with an 'attachable' outrigger... to balance the craft... hmmm... patent idea??
dave m
Thank you for the kind words. Also, funny you should think of the out rigger because after almost taking water while trying to track a BIF I too wondered about something to stabilize and bet it exists

QuoteOriginally posted by rwfarnell Quote
Very Nice, Very Sharp, Lee
I've been out twice with a friend of mine who has a tandum kayak and found it very hard to get a steady shot. I was thinking about not trying any more but your picture has made me want to give it another chance.
Rob
Thank you Rob. Yes, my keeper rate after today (2 trips) is about 20% for just exposure and focus, mostly BIFs. Shooting the same critters from my typical shore spots is about 80%. Lots tougher but I expect it will improve with experience.

QuoteOriginally posted by DigiMack Quote
Wow, I must echo jva59! For a hand-held shot from a one-man kayak, that is one sharp image!
Very well done. Enjoy that Kayak.
Thanks DM. Someday soon they will be sharper when I dare take my da*300 lens out there when the k-5 returns from CRIS. But my horizons will NEVER be level except after post.
07-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Thank you for the kind words. Also, funny you should think of the out rigger because after almost taking water while trying to track a BIF I too wondered about something to stabilize and bet it exists

Thank you Rob. Yes, my keeper rate after today (2 trips) is about 20% for just exposure and focus, mostly BIFs. Shooting the same critters from my typical shore spots is about 80%. Lots tougher but I expect it will improve with experience.

Thanks DM. Someday soon they will be sharper when I dare take my da*300 lens out there when the k-5 returns from CRIS. But my horizons will NEVER be level except after post.
You might consider a Bubble Level to mount in the flash shoe. They are relatively inexpensive from B&H or Adorama (I think mine is a Lens Coat).
07-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Great shot Lee!
Those guys are so hard to spot when you are on foot, I usually just get to watch them fly away.
07-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DigiMack Quote
You might consider a Bubble Level to mount in the flash shoe. They are relatively inexpensive from B&H or Adorama (I think mine is a Lens Coat).
Thanks for the thought but determining "level" is not my problem ou the water....its HOLDING it while taking the shot. I actually have a shoe mount bubble but have not used it on the water for that reason. Many shots look like some drunk stole a k20d as every ripple and my own movements rock the boat. Short of a gyroscopic mount, i will just have to level and crop in post.
07-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Great shot Lee!
Those guys are so hard to spot when you are on foot, I usually just get to watch them fly away.
Hey Tom, thanks for the look. This guy flushed at first but allowed me to follow and get quite close unlike if I was on foot. So far, only the GBH has not allowed me to pet him.
07-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #13
Forum Member

really good drybag for the kayak

Nice pic. I've been carrying a k20 or k5 with the 55-300 in my kayak for years. The body and lens fit into the waterproof bag, that lay between my legs. If you need a realy good bag that float also, checkout. I use the one that opens on the end, blue in the picture.
Sagebrush Dry - Simply the finest waterproof bags for recreation available anywhere.
07-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry_S Quote
If you need a realy good bag that float also, checkout. I use the one that opens on the end, blue in the picture.
Thanks for the comment and recommendation. Being so new to it I simply bought a pair of $20 dry bags with the fold and buckle closure. Something easier to get camera in and out of would be better. Your bag certainly has the ease of access look to it.