Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Palo Alto Concours D'elegance - Ferrari [12 IMG]
Lens: DA 15 and 40 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Standford Campus, Palo Alto, CA ISO: 80 
Posted By: Sailor, 07-11-2011, 06:40 PM

In the '60s and early '70s, while I slogged my way through college, grad school and a stint in the Army, there were many cars I admired from afar, such as Porsche, Corvette, Cobra, BMW, Lambo and Ferrari. They were like getting a date with Marylin Monroe, Honor Blackman or Diana Rigg - stunningly beautiful, absolutely dersirable and completely out of reach. Close study would simply lead to frustration.

As my career began to move, "dates" with some of these beautiful "gals" became possible (although, as an example of life's perversities, I often chose not to "ask them out"), but Ms. Ferrari still seems to be just too much. So . . . . . . besides the realization that these cars are drop-dead gorgeous, I know little about them or their history. Consequently, the labels I've applied here to individual cars are the best I could do from memory and consulting the Concours program and the web. If I'm wrong - I'll gracefully stand corrected.

Jer

Everywhere you hear the F-word:

The famous prancing horse (but not the one from Stuttgart):

Rows of red:

1965 275 GTS:

1967 330 GTS:

1971 365 GTC:

1986 Testarossa:

A closer view of the Dino in the first pic:

2004 360 Modena (a true heart stopper):

Views: 3,608
07-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
drool worthy prancing ponies jer..... fantastic venue you attended... maybe next year for a meet up????
dave m
07-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of my favorites, expensive maintenance though, so I sat on the sidelines and drove Corvettes. Beautiful shots Jer, maybe in another lifetime? Bob
07-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
drool worthy prancing ponies jer..... fantastic venue you attended... maybe next year for a meet up????
dave m
Why not - want to fly to the "left" coast, as the Capn calls it?

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
One of my favorites, expensive maintenance though, so I sat on the sidelines and drove Corvettes. Beautiful shots Jer, maybe in another lifetime? Bob
I'm with you, Bob. I'm a "car guy" but I'm not gonna dump 250 grand into a sailboat, let alone a car. At that level the money is better lookin' that the boat or the car!

Still, I get weak-in-the-knees at these magnificent beasts.

Jer

07-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

They sure are great looking machines Jer but I still would like to see you cruisin' around in the "Ford Grillmobile."--capn zap
07-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
They sure are great looking machines Jer but I still would like to see you cruisin' around in the "Ford Grillmobile."--capn zap
Capn - they are beautiful, but I agree - I'd look hotter in the Grillmobile.

Jer
07-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Very nice all way out of my reach
One of my biggest regrets is in 77while looking for a project car for restoration with a friend we passed on a 64gts convertible that was in a scrap yard because he wanted 2500 (missing everything in the interior and most of the motor and the wheels) and bought a triumph tr4a instead (which my friend still had last time i saw him)
We sjould have done the ferrari it would have taken an extra 6months to a year due to costs but it would have been worth it
The tr4a required machining a good chunk of what we needed even then
Btw at one point or another ive driven all you pictured except the modena
The old spiders are still my favourite

07-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Very nice all way out of my reach
One of my biggest regrets is in 77while looking for a project car for restoration with a friend we passed on a 64gts convertible that was in a scrap yard because he wanted 2500 (missing everything in the interior and most of the motor and the wheels) and bought a triumph tr4a instead (which my friend still had last time i saw him)
We sjould have done the ferrari it would have taken an extra 6months to a year due to costs but it would have been worth it
The tr4a required machining a good chunk of what we needed even then
Btw at one point or another ive driven all you pictured except the modena
The old spiders are still my favourite
I envy you, for sure. I've driven hosts of cars over the years (and owned a fair number of 'em), but I've never been behind the wheel of a Ferrari - it certainly would be a rush.

Jer
07-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

it is pretty cool, some of it comes from when i was a doorman at a hotel, some from when i ran a car rental that had a hand wash that did high end dealer prep
some form friends i grew up with who came from money
A huge chunk was one client when i was a doorman, he changed cars like they were underwear
One day he came in driving a BB512 tossed me the keys and said take her for a spin and tell me what you think (who am I to argue) - Awesome car though a million blind spots
A week later He came in driving a Porsche 935RSR, When I asked why he changed from the Ferrari - his answer was it's too fast - hahaha he bought the only car at the time faster than the bb512
07-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
it is pretty cool, some of it comes from when i was a doorman at a hotel, some from when i ran a car rental that had a hand wash that did high end dealer prep
some form friends i grew up with who came from money
A huge chunk was one client when i was a doorman, he changed cars like they were underwear
One day he came in driving a BB512 tossed me the keys and said take her for a spin and tell me what you think (who am I to argue) - Awesome car though a million blind spots
A week later He came in driving a Porsche 935RSR, When I asked why he changed from the Ferrari - his answer was it's too fast - hahaha he bought the only car at the time faster than the bb512
Wow - I need to get a job like that!!

If you're interested in Porsche (I am because I own one), the first thread in this series focused on Porsche (Ferrari was the last) is shamelessly plugged in this link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/150244-machinery-palo-al...12-img%5D.html

Jer
07-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great series Jer,

We share a similar passion for Ferrari and Diana Rigg in her Avenger days. I believe she drove a Lotus in that series as I recall. I’ll forgive her that as she was beautiful.

One of my neighbours up the street has a Ferrari 308 GTS – the same model Magnum drove in the TV series. Next time I see it I’ll take a few shots. It is not as pampered as those in your series but remains a lot more photogenic than my Honda Civic SI.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 07-14-2011 at 12:53 PM.
07-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow - I need to get a job like that!!

If you're interested in Porsche (I am because I own one), the first thread in this series focused on Porsche (Ferrari was the last) is shamelessly plugged in this link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/150244-machinery-palo-al...12-img%5D.html

Jer
Thanks Jer, I rarely drive now, still have my 8 year old Merc for when I need to but living downtown i cycle everywhere (I can get to and from work faster than I could in my car)
I do like Porsche though as well and will have a look. a beautiful car always holds it's appeal even for those of us who are moving away from using them.
Heck at many levels aside from the exotics there have been some nice designs (for me at least) in the last few years (the Fiat 500 convertible holds an appeal having briefly owned an original in my youth - pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum but still nice design....not too speedy though )
I've thought about getting rid of the current car and just getting a nice old collectible and actually using it unlike many of the people who buy them
07-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jer, I rarely drive now, still have my 8 year old Merc for when I need to but living downtown i cycle everywhere (I can get to and from work faster than I could in my car)
I do like Porsche though as well and will have a look. a beautiful car always holds it's appeal even for those of us who are moving away from using them.
Heck at many levels aside from the exotics there have been some nice designs (for me at least) in the last few years (the Fiat 500 convertible holds an appeal having briefly owned an original in my youth - pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum but still nice design....not too speedy though )
I've thought about getting rid of the current car and just getting a nice old collectible and actually using it unlike many of the people who buy them
Hey - a bike sounds just the thing for living in the city. I'm retired now, so I don't have to travel to work, but I've adopted cycling as a hobby and have put more miles on bike than I have on the Boxster during the same period. My wife and I ride most days were not traveling or on our boat.

Jer
07-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Good way to spend retirement
Still have a dozen years to go myself
Barring a lottery win
My goal is a nice place in spain so im rooting for a devalued euro
Probably will shop for a place when im in barcelona in october
A modest place in a walkable city with good food wine and weather
Just have to look away from la ramblas madness
07-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Great series Jer,

We share a similar passion for Ferrari and Diana Rigg in her Avenger days. I believe she drove a Lotus in that series as I recall. I’ll forgive her that as she was beautiful.

One of my neighbours up the street has a Ferrari 308 GTS – the same model Magnum drove in the TV series. Next time I see it I’ll take a few shots. It is not as pampered as those in your series but remains a lot more photogenic than my Honda Civic SI.

Tom G
AAAhhh . . . . Mrs. Peel (I envied Steed). Looking for ward to your pics of the 308, Tom, and thanks for the kind words.

Jer