Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First 50's Pinup teaser thread!
Posted By: codiac2600, 11-19-2007, 08:32 PM

Hello everyone!

I'd to thank Ben, Stewart and Marc for being such great tutors and helping me along this long road to great lighting. They spent a lot of time helping me out with setting up these studio strobes that I had no real experience in using and I can't thank them enough.

I've spent the last few days organizing all the models and times for the 4 pinup shots I'm doing and it's been a roller coaster. Here is the very first shoot and I used Stewarts more traditional 50's lighting tip to get this awesome 3D effect.

I shot the whole thing using my DA* 16-50 f2.8 lens and my well abused K10D. Shot at ISO 100 f9 most of the time, sometimes f8, but can't remember.

C&C is welcome and appreciated, but remember this is just a teaser as I wait for everything to upload to my site so there will much more to come.

Very first photo from the shoot!

Check out the detail of the B&W conversion!

Thanks for looking and I can't wait to show you all the rest of the images guys, they are amazing, definitely my best work to date.

Last edited by codiac2600; 11-19-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Views: 2,780
11-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #2

Very, very nice!!!
11-19-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Definitely excellent work no matter how you look at it Chris.

I cannot wait to see the rest.

Darn fine work.
11-19-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
Forum Member

speechless!
ummmm WOW!

11-19-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

chris,

I officiall hate you...yet love you at athe same time for posting these.
You are a lucky guy, but you have the talent to back it up, well done
11-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Looks good Chris,

I can't wait until I can see the rest.
11-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My oh my! What have I been missing out on? I haven't been here in a long while and the first picture I click on is a treat! Excellent job!

11-19-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

hello again.

Fine photograph, and fine black and white work, excellent tonal range conversion.

Is it toned? If so it is very subtle, which is preferred. I suggest adjustment layer(s) photo filter and try any imaginable color(s) and play with the intensity percentage. Although, I do not have any experience with human models, it works wonderfully with car models!
11-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Hello everyone!

I'd to thank Ben, Stewart and Marc for being such great tutors and helping me along this long road to great lighting. They spent a lot of time helping me out with setting up these studio strobes that I had no real experience in using and I can't thank them enough.
They provided a lot of very solid advice (I guess I chimed in a bit too), but ultimately the final product is the information collected coupled with your implementation. It really goes to show in this instance that doing your homework does make the difference!!

QuoteQuote:
I've spent the last few days organizing all the models and times for the 4 pinup shots I'm doing and it's been a roller coaster. Here is the very first shoot and I used Stewarts more traditional 50's lighting tip to get this awesome 3D effect.

I shot the whole thing using my DA* 16-50 f2.8 lens and my well abused K10D. Shot at ISO 100 f9 most of the time, sometimes f8, but can't remember.

C&C is welcome and appreciated, but remember this is just a teaser as I wait for everything to upload to my site so there will much more to come.

Check out the detail of the B&W conversion!

Thanks for looking and I can't wait to show you all the rest of the images guys, they are amazing, definitely my best work to date.
I think this and hopefully the other models are some of those intangible "benefits" you get with photographing pretty ladies! BTW, never any doubt IMHO in those details... I keep looking, and looking...

Light-heartedness aside, this is very, very well done Chris. I completely agree that you've surpassed yourself on these images.

Cheers,
Marc
11-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Sorry Chris, I couldn't help myself

I just had to do something with your bottom picture, and this is it

I hope that you don't mind.
11-19-2007, 11:25 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Love the pose, the lighting, the b/w conversion! Sultry!
11-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #12
kay

Awesome! Can't wait to see more
11-20-2007, 12:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Chris, very, very nice work. Now show us the rest :-)

Take care, Heinrich
11-20-2007, 06:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well done, Chris. The shadows are working well, the pose is perfect, and the model fits the intended look very nicely (right down to the hair and makeup).

The only issues I see are the contrasting direction of shadows from the legs of the chair and hand placement. You could try turning down the light in the right side of the image a bit (the light causing the shadow from the chair leg directly under her feet). But, if that messes up the shadows and highlights too much (and I very much suspect it will), just leave the lighting as is. Given the subject, I seriously doubt anyone is going to notice it, and that light does work very well elsewhere in the image. You could try PP'ing that one shadow out, but I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the hands, watch out for an unnatural look. The hand closest to the side with her feet, for example, looks unnatural (missing fingers, the same with the thumb on the other hand). It would have been better to have this hand open, laying very loosely (relaxed) on her hip so the fingers could be seen. However, this is another very minor issue that also isn't going to be noticed much considering the subject. These were just mentioned to provide you with two more things to think about when shooting any later images.

Anyway, that's it. Beyond these two things, the image is fantastic. I don't believe you ever said exactly what the images are for (calendar, advertisment, etc). But, if this image is an example of the rest, they will serve whatever purpose very well.

stewart
11-20-2007, 06:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eddie Quote
Very, very nice!!!
Thank you Eddie!

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
Definitely excellent work no matter how you look at it Chris.

I cannot wait to see the rest.

Darn fine work.
Thank you and the rest are now up! Have a look

QuoteOriginally posted by JasonS Quote
speechless!
ummmm WOW!
LOL, thanks Jason, go have a look at all the others in the new thread.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
chris,

I officiall hate you...yet love you at athe same time for posting these.
You are a lucky guy, but you have the talent to back it up, well done
I have a lot of people hating me now after this shoot. One of my buddies is totally just unhappy right now, but he'll start doing this too so it'll be a short lived hate. Thanks Gaelen your too kind.

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Looks good Chris,

I can't wait until I can see the rest.
Oh, I know you'll love the rest!