Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Official 50's Pinup shoot top images
Posted By: codiac2600, 11-20-2007, 05:49 AM

Alright everyone here they are in all their glory for you to see. These are the top images from the shoot yesterday and again I'm really excited about these and hope that you enjoy them as much as I do.

Again all shot with my DA* 16-50 f2.8, very little post processing and a whole lot of fun and chatter to get all of this together.

C&C is welcome and appreciated and again I'd like to really thank Stewart on this since this is was his lighting technique that really made the shots.

The B&W images are all using the new B&W conversion technique that I have been working on for some time and I think it has some amazing range and style plus it works well for the period I'm trying to shoot for.

For everyone else that gave me ideas don't worry I'm going to be using them shortly, especially Stu, I got a big suprise from Stu's idea and have set up an amazing shoot for December 20th because of it!

Thanks again and enjoy!

Start off with a kick!

And some more in the next post!
Views: 5,340
11-20-2007, 05:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Thats it everyone, those are my top pics from the shoot and if you want to see more go here and check out the FULL gallery!

Oh, I just want to show the detail of the DA* lens here and the coolness of my hand painted muslin background I made a few weeks ago. Check it yall!

and here is better example of the background in all it's colour!

Thank you everyone and I hope you all enjoy! Oh, next shoot is Wednesday, tomorrow, and I'll have more fun images to show soon!
11-20-2007, 06:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why can't I get fantastic girls like that to shoot?

I think you did an excellent job of hitting that period look you were going for and I am very pleased for you that the hard work you did in creating the backdrop is paying off for you so well. It looks fantastic.
11-20-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Outstanding Chris - did you say they were BW ? I will have to look again and again and again ahh yes you were right . The lighting works really well as everything that needs to be in focus is. The poses are very sexy and tactfully done. Great shoot she should be happy with those I know I am. (That first shot does indeed have a pin-up quality to it as do several others)

11-20-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Why can't I get fantastic girls like that to shoot?

I think you did an excellent job of hitting that period look you were going for and I am very pleased for you that the hard work you did in creating the backdrop is paying off for you so well. It looks fantastic.
LOL, you'll get them soon enough Mike

Thank you Mike and I'm glad you enjoy them. Did you ever find out what they dye they used for that blue garment?

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Outstanding Chris - did you say they were BW ? I will have to look again and again and again ahh yes you were right . The lighting works really well as everything that needs to be in focus is. The poses are very sexy and tactfully done. Great shoot she should be happy with those I know I am. (That first shot does indeed have a pin-up quality to it as do several others)
Yeah, I have a hard time staying away from these pics myself. Thank you and I am super stoked you like these and hope to have more for everyone on Wednesday if the PP'ing goes as planned.
11-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

awesome pics, i loved the ones of her tats kinda sneaking out, i think it adds-at least for me-to the pin-up image (because i saw a lot of old pin-ups at my tattoo shop, i guess).

one question-how did you get the model? friend? paid gig? just curious. if i ever decide to try for a similar shoot, i haven't the foggiest idea how or where i'd go for a model
11-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Did you ever find out what they dye they used for that blue garment?
It's some sort of traditional dye made out of organic stuff. They keep it in small heated vats buried in the ground (for heat insulation) and have to stir it a few times every day. It's fermented and smells like hell.

I stood in the workshed where they keep the dye vats and talked with a woman for a while....all the time thinking her breath was horrendous, until it suddenly dawned on me that the staff had just stirred the dye vats a little bit earlier and that was actually the source of the stench.

Now that I have realistic opportunities to actually make use of a backdrop, I have to hunt up some cloth and go see the lady at the museum about hooking me up with a dye job on it. I've already been pricing extension poles at the local home center to make a backdrop support. Things run a bit higher over here, but I think I can pull it off for around $50. No idea what the cloth will run, or if I can even get it in a wide enough piece.

11-20-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
awesome pics, i loved the ones of her tats kinda sneaking out, i think it adds-at least for me-to the pin-up image (because i saw a lot of old pin-ups at my tattoo shop, i guess).

one question-how did you get the model? friend? paid gig? just curious. if i ever decide to try for a similar shoot, i haven't the foggiest idea how or where i'd go for a model
Thank you and it was a neat idea to try while shooting and it worked out very well indeed.

Well, most of the time I get my models from working at bars doing work for them and passing out business cards, others are friends and this girl and many others have found me on modeling sites like Model Mayhem or One Model Place. Give it go with friends, build a portfolio and work your way up to the better fish!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It's some sort of traditional dye made out of organic stuff. They keep it in small heated vats buried in the ground (for heat insulation) and have to stir it a few times every day. It's fermented and smells like hell.

I stood in the workshed where they keep the dye vats and talked with a woman for a while....all the time thinking her breath was horrendous, until it suddenly dawned on me that the staff had just stirred the dye vats a little bit earlier and that was actually the source of the stench.

Now that I have realistic opportunities to actually make use of a backdrop, I have to hunt up some cloth and go see the lady at the museum about hooking me up with a dye job on it. I've already been pricing extension poles at the local home center to make a backdrop support. Things run a bit higher over here, but I think I can pull it off for around $50. No idea what the cloth will run, or if I can even get it in a wide enough piece.
Hmm, I'll have to see if I can find some of that dye around here or see if I can get a way to have you ship me some Thanks Mike and post pics of the finished product!
11-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, Just amazing.

Definately inspired me to try some of these kinds of shoots. I'm going to need to start stocking up on flashes....Should be a lot of fun.

Once again, supurb job
11-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Outstanding set Chris. Simply outstanding. My only thought is to clone out her tattoo where it shows. Girls from that era would not have them.

Great effort, am looking forward to seeing more.

Also, congrats to the makeup and hair artists. Bang up job.
11-20-2007, 02:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
Wow, Just amazing.

Definately inspired me to try some of these kinds of shoots. I'm going to need to start stocking up on flashes....Should be a lot of fun.

Once again, supurb job
Thank you Gaelen and I can't wait to see what you create when you gather all your lighting together. Just remember to bug Stewart for tips

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Outstanding set Chris. Simply outstanding. My only thought is to clone out her tattoo where it shows. Girls from that era would not have them.

Great effort, am looking forward to seeing more.

Also, congrats to the makeup and hair artists. Bang up job.
I will start to do a little more PP'ing on certain images, but in some I like the tattoo so I may keep a copy of both for the heck of it. Thank you and appreciate your enthusiastic response
11-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Beautiful like always Chris,

I'm really looking forward to seeing the car pictures as well when you take them
(Women and cars what more could a guy want )

This is just an idea, and it might be a bad one.
How about using a film camera with some severally outdated B&W film on one of your shoots.
It might not work, however you may get some very nice results.

I would of course still use your K10, just in case it doesn't work.

I'm planning on dragging one of my old cars into the orchard next year, as a prop.
And instruction everyone to NOT cut the lawn around it.

If you have a week or 2 off next summer your more than welcome to come up here and have fun with it.
I'm sure that we could get a few models over from the close by cities.
11-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Darn nice work Chris.

I really am kind of speachless (which rarely happens)

You sure did turn out some real winners.

Cannot wait to see more.
11-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome shots, Chris! With the tie-dye pattern in the backdrop I tend to see 60's pin-up, but I like the photos just the same. Great!
11-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Chris, there is nothing that I can say that somone else has not already said. So I'll shut up and keep looking at your seriouly good work.

Take care, Heinrich