Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1957 Plymouth Belvedere 2-Door Hardtop
Lens: DA 21 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Fuddruckers Parking Lot, Lake Jackson, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 07-17-2011, 01:11 PM

I've hardly touched my camera since the end of April, with most of my shooting confined to three days in California and much of that devoted to automobiles. It seems I can't find anything else to shoot; here are some pics I took last night of a '57 Plymouth Belvedere at an informal car show in a local shopping center. The car belongs to a good friend and professional colleague; the car's not restored, but he wet sanded it recently and it looks terrific. It certainly brings back boyhood memories, since Dad bought a closely related, bright red Fury when they came out in '58.

It was a great to shoot without a glaring overhead sun!

Jer

Views: 7,988
07-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice car, nice shots.
07-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Cool pics. I'm surprised this car is still around. I have pictures of it from 2004. I haven't seen it since.

I recognize some of the cars in the background. How big does the Lake Jackson show get? Bigger than the Kemah show on Saturdays?
07-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My parents gave me their 57 Desoto Adventurer when I was a junior in HS. It had the 345 cid/345hp Hemi engine with dual 4 barrel engine, 150mph speedometer. That car was a real runner. He has kept the car in great condition, love the original color, hub caps and wide whitewalls. These cars were cool with the torqueflite transmissions and push button trans selectors on the dash, did you notice that? Thanks for bringing back some memories, great shots too. Bob

Last edited by Bob Harris; 07-17-2011 at 02:54 PM.
07-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what a stunner jer...... great gm nostalgia.... dave m
07-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very cool. I love the tail fin era of the late 50's. I hate having to blur out license plates though. A necessary evil I guess but it really takes away from the shot.

My Dad had one of these back in the day; push button transmission (which he wasn't thrilled with) and the "salmon" color too.

Last edited by Workingdog; 07-17-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Forgot my Dad had one
07-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

That era brings back memories of my 59 Olds convertible.--charliezap

07-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Chrome and fins.

Detroit iron at its best.

Tom G
07-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Nice car, nice shots.
Thanks much.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Cool pics. I'm surprised this car is still around. I have pictures of it from 2004. I haven't seen it since.

I recognize some of the cars in the background. How big does the Lake Jackson show get? Bigger than the Kemah show on Saturdays?
Thanks. My buddy, who's a Mopar expert (not to mention the best physical chemist I ever encountered), has a number of cars and shows them around the country.

Frankly, I think this was more of club meet than a show, which I stumbled u[on while running some late evening errands. It turns out that there are two car clubs in LJ - both of which meet monthly (on different dates) at Fuddruckers. The Kemah gigs draw more cars.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
My parents gave me their 57 Desoto Adventurer when I was a junior in HS. It had the 345 cid/345hp Hemi engine with dual 4 barrel engine, 150mph speedometer. That car was a real runner. He has kept the car in great condition, love the original color, hub caps and wide whitewalls. These cars were cool with the torqueflite transmissions and push button trans selectors on the dash, did you notice that? Thanks for bringing back some memories, great shots too. Bob
Thanks, Bob - I figured you'd get a kick out of these pics. And I noticed the push buttons for sure - our '58 Fury had the same dash and 12-year-old me thought the push buttons were the last word in cool. My Dad was less impressed, thinking they were an example of form over function, but he believed in the Torqueflite which he regarded as the only automatic on the market "worth a nickel."

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
what a stunner jer...... great gm nostalgia.... dave m
Hey thanks, Dave.

Jer
07-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
Very cool. I love the tail fin era of the late 50's. I hate having to blur out license plates though. A necessary evil I guess but it really takes away from the shot.

My Dad had one of these back in the day; push button transmission (which he wasn't thrilled with) and the "salmon" color too.
Thanks for looking and the comments. As I noted above, my Dad was underwhelmed with the push buttons, as well.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
That era brings back memories of my 59 Olds convertible.--charliezap
Capn - sounds like you were (and are) a party guy!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Chrome and fins.

Detroit iron at its best.

Tom G
Thanks for looking, Tom.

Jer
07-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Great shots! I remember well...we had a 57 DeSoto, it was the fastest car in town back then, and no one ever beat me.....except my dad when he caught me racing. I could push those buttons like no one else!

Best Regards & Thanks!
07-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Great shots! I remember well...we had a 57 DeSoto, it was the fastest car in town back then, and no one ever beat me.....except my dad when he caught me racing. I could push those buttons like no one else!

Best Regards & Thanks!
Hey, thanks Rupert. I was way to young to drive when "we" owned our '58 Fury (basically identical to the '57), so I don't know much about the cars of that era. My Mopar buddy tells me that our car would have had Plymouth's 302 CI V-8 with a small 4-bbl. Not in your DeSoto's league.

Jer
07-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

They don't make 'em like they used - that's for sure. Nice work, Jer. You and the DA21 captured that beauty well!
07-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nate_b Quote
They don't make 'em like they used - that's for sure. Nice work, Jer. You and the DA21 captured that beauty well!
Thanks, nate, for the kind words. The 21 is my favorite car lens. A few weeks ago I was visiting my daughter in CA and was able to catch a Concours D'elegance. I like to travel light with no more than three DA Limiteds. Unfortunately, I took my 15, and sorely missed the 21 when it turned out 75% of the photos I took were car shots.

Jer
07-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Nice shots of a SWEEEEEET ride Jer... Hard to believe that it's not been "restored"... It was certainly well cared for considering that.

Mike